Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Mon 18, 2019 10:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GREEN substance on stereo console
PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 11:10 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_0344.JPG
I have noticed a curious green substance a lot of of the aluminum in back of stereo console. wondering if anyone has encountered this as well?? Here is a photo.

Post subject: Re: GREEN substance on stereo console
PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 11:21 pm 

Cadmium plated parts, health hazards of...
viewtopic.php?p=2752910#p2752910

Greg.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 11:50 pm 

I have yet to see a headline about someone dying from Cadmium. It is not like it is radioactive or something. But the fact it turns to dust and can be spread into the air makes it a hazard I guess. Thus wiping off the loose dust with something WET so it clings to the towel or rag and can be thrown away is the best deal, then do what? Leave it alone if it is out of reach, or put a coating of something on it, like paint or ? to prevent it from exposure to air and spreading, even if it is still an oxidized surface after wet cleaning.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 11:51 pm 

egg wrote:
Cadmium plated parts, health hazards of...
http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... 0#p2752910

Greg.

That thread states Cadmium Oxide - that ain't green Cadmium Sulfide is green, and is what you have.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadmium_sulfide

More inclusive thread:

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtop ... e#p2957481

PostPosted: Feb Mon 11, 2019 11:58 pm 

wazz wrote:
I have yet to see a headline about someone dying from Cadmium. It is not like it is radioactive or something. But the fact it turns to dust and can be spread into the air makes it a hazard I guess. Thus wiping off the loose dust with something WET so it clings to the towel or rag and can be thrown away is the best deal, then do what? Leave it alone if it is out of reach, or put a coating of something on it, like paint or ? to prevent it from exposure to air and spreading, even if it is still an oxidized surface after wet cleaning.

+1 Toxicity starts at > 30mg consumed, IIRC. You'd have to eat a whole lot to get sick immediately. But, still, don't breathe the dust. Keep any cleaning operations damp, and don't remove the cadmium plating - it keeps the underlying steel from rusting.

90% of the test sets Uncle Sam bought had the green crud on the steel chassis - we left it alone, as most test sets were environmentally sealed (outgassing within the test set caused the reaction).

PostPosted: Feb Wed 13, 2019 12:13 am 

The toxic threshold is much less than that airborne, though. I think 5 micrograms per cubic meter of air is the OSHA limit.

I did a bunch of research on this a while back and concluded that the safest way of dealing with it if you do want to clean it would be to remove it very carefully in an outdoor environment while keeping it wet.

Personally I wouldn't want something with degraded plating sitting around in my home for long periods of time if it's powdery and coming off when you touch it.

If you do remove it, you would then need to seal the metal somehow.

Zinc is less noble than cadmium, so in theory, a zinc cold galvanizing compound could prevent further corrosion, but you would need to get rid of the oxide/sulfide first and get to conductive metal.

Heavy metal poisoning (while sounding kind of cool :)) is no joke, so take appropriate precautions.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 13, 2019 2:15 am 

Wipe it down with a wet cleaner and don't worry about it. A product called CLR Cleaner works very nice. It will come back slowly over time. I cleaned my Hallicrafters SX-28 thoroughly about 15 years ago and the cadmium dust is barely visible again.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 13, 2019 2:32 am 

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a cadmium compound and thus agree with the suggested precautions, but there are also many compounds of iron, copper and nickel that are green or bluish green and much less hazardous. Certain forms of iron sulfate and iron chloride. Copper acetate, copper carbonate, copper chloride. Also nickel chloride, nickel carbonate and nickel sulfate. Carbonates and chloride compounds are often found in metals exposed to ocean air.

Sulfides compounds are often black, but as pointed out, cadmium sulfide is yellow or green.

-Bryan the Chemist

PostPosted: Feb Wed 13, 2019 5:44 am 

The worst is when the cadmium dust covers speaker frames. You can get the dust on the outside, but not the inside without risking damaging the cone

PostPosted: Feb Wed 13, 2019 11:50 pm 

I have used a paper towel moistened with a little WD-40 to clean that stuff; it wipes right off.