Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 26, 2019 4:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 12H660 Band Selector Not Working Properly
PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 8:42 pm 

Hello- I am submitting this question for my friend who does not use this forum but has a problem with tuning the band selectors on a Zenith 12H660. There are six band selectors and the radio plays on the broadcast band but he cannot get it to tune on any of the SW bands. It plays BC on all bands and he gets no response tuning the padders on each band. The schematic is on Riders 13 on Nostalgia Air. My friend was asking me if there is a Zenith manual that addresses tuning but I do not know if there is. Any Zenith folks out there that has seen this problem before? Thanks, Rich

Post subject: Re: Zenith 12H660 Band Selector Not Working Properly
PostPosted: Feb Sat 16, 2019 3:59 pm 

The 6 buttons with padders are usually “presets “ for the broad cast band
Looks like this set has BCB , Shortwave and FM.
The band switch is a knob and not the push buttons

The FM is the old FM so you won’t pick up anything on it.

So on setting of the band switch knob will be AM one SW one FM and one for the preset buttons

So if the knob is on the presets that is all you will get.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 18, 2019 5:01 am 

Thanks to Simplex 1040 for his reply. The problem was found to be an open C9 .00025pf cap that was open and a ground connection cut at the cap. C9 is in common with the whole pushbutton switch assembly. After my friend replaced the cap and reconnected the ground connection the radio took off like a champ. We discussed the possibility that the ground wire cut was an attempt by a repair shop to comply with regulation during WWII to disable SW bands on radios, a way to control propaganda. I have heard of such things but never seen it myself. I guess its a good thing to look for when troubleshooting lost SW.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 18, 2019 8:09 am 

Radiodoc56 wrote:
...We discussed the possibility that the ground wire cut was an attempt by a repair shop to comply with regulation during WWII to disable SW bands on radios, a way to control propaganda...

That seems unlikely. The pushbutton preset assembly only operates on the standard broadcast band; disabling it would have no effect on the SW band.

There was no general attempt to suppress shortwave reception during WW2 in the continental US. There was a federal order that required registered aliens to turn in their radios for "inspection and adjustment" (disabling of the SW bands); however, actual enforcement was delegated to the local police chief and implementation was non-uniform from city to city. In fifty years of collecting prewar radios here in the upper midwest, I have never turned up a shortwave set that I could positively identify as having had its shortwave bands disabled; although I have no doubt that it actually happened in larger cities having considerable populations of resident aliens with ties to Axis nations.. particularly in the early years of America's involvement in WW2.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 20, 2019 8:51 pm 

Interesting reply from Lorenz, I had heard about disabled SW but only by word of mouth or WWII lore. I don't know why the ground connection would have been cut or for what reason other than a mistake that was not fixed. Makes sense that SW would have not been disabled so possible open C9 was the only real culprit. It's a very small cap value surprised it would affect the whole band selector in that way but apparently did. Thanks.