Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 23, 2020 11:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Crosley 106CP
PostPosted: Jul Thu 11, 2019 4:14 pm 

Hi all, I'm new to the group and have a question about my restored Crosley 106CP. After a move to my new house, the receiver (mainly AM Broadcast) has lost all sensitivity. If I hold my hand on or near the variable tuning capacitor the reception improves dramatically. Any thoughts on what to pursue next? Perhaps time to break out the tube tester, when I can find it!
Also, I 'm looking for replacement knobs. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anson

Post subject: Re: Crosley 106CP
PostPosted: Jul Thu 11, 2019 4:27 pm 

Most likely a broken connection to the loop antenna. It should be in the bottom part of the cabinet and connect to the radio chassis with two wires.

Jay

PostPosted: Jul Thu 11, 2019 4:29 pm 

Does your new house have aluminum or steel siding?

PostPosted: Jul Thu 11, 2019 6:38 pm 

Brick and frame house. The antenna assembly is intact although the insulation is breaking off in spots. I may try a different wire to see if that changes things.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 11, 2019 8:10 pm 

If it is a newly built house, it may have a layer of aluminum foil in the insulation. I've found that to significantly reduce the reception in my house.

Jay

PostPosted: Jul Sun 14, 2019 7:09 pm 

That looks like what should be a good performing radio. With a loop antenna you might try turning it to see if that helps. While I like loops, unless they are made to be rotated without turning the whole set, they can be a pain.
Another suggestion is to take the radio outside. If it works properly then you have your answer.

People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 15, 2019 4:50 am 

Done the turning and antenna checks etc. I'm talking about a local AM station too. Almost no sensitivity until I pass my hand on or near the tuning cap. The Shortwave bands seem sensitive enough however. Oh well I will keep plugging away at it. As I said, it was recently rebuilt and worked well until I moved to a new location. I'm feeling that its a tube.