Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 23, 2019 12:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Capacitor Value
PostPosted: Jun Sat 08, 2019 5:14 am 

i have learned on here and experienced over the years that there are quite a few dot-domino capacitors that the color code does not mean anything b/c it is a proprietary code.

I believe leigh told me that a few years ago when nothing was making sense with a domino capacitor with about 4-5 different charts that I had here.

for me, the final way that I verify the value of a mica is by the schematic -and- a capacitance meter.

I rarely pay attention to the color code dots anymore.

one has to be careful though using my two methods. I have seen 100 pf put on the schematic and 220 in the set and 220 also was the measured value on the capacitor meter. when that happens, I go with what was in the set as long it was not a previously replaced part, as in, the repair shop installed something they had on hand that day to make it work and get it back to the customer.

most of the time though, the color code, the schematic, and the capacitor meter line up perfectly.

steve

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 11:19 pm 

Thought I would give an update on the radio after the recap. Everything powers, but I get barely any sound from the speaker at all. If I flip the band selector switch or the tone control I get some static, otherwise its just a very low, and soft hum that changes tone if I try tuning in a station.

So I think with some poking around I can finish this, checking contacts on switches first, but I feel like It could be a tube that has gone bad.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 2:12 am 

Update:

Some contact cleaning, and testing, and now I can get a bit more life. I still need a better antenna.

However something odd, the heaters in the tubes are on all the time when the radio is plugged in. Is this normal in this model in order to prevent a long warm up time?

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 2:45 am 

Power switch not working?

Since this is a transformer set, it’s not really possible to just power the filaments.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 4:25 am 

Actually sorted it out, the switch had some corrosion I missed and everything is 100% and ready to be put back in the cabinet.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 26, 2019 2:28 am 

Well seems that switch has to be replaced, the volume is a constant level no matter what you do.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 26, 2019 3:01 am 

you can take mostly any vintage volume control from a tube radio and tack it in your radio to see if it controls some volume.

i've temporarily connected 500k controls where 2 meg controls should be and visa versa with all other values inbetween.

if it is too far off in value, you might get some squealing, but that can be expected in some sets. it will still "control" the volume to verify that your old vol control is defective.

i've done this just to verify if the control is bad ; i always install the proper value for the restoration.

steve

PostPosted: Jun Wed 26, 2019 3:36 am 

I don't have a spare on me that works. That said I have searched for the better part of tonight and haven't found anything that matches. It's a 250k ohm pot with a spst switch rated at 3 amps 125V or 1.5 amps 250V.

Most I found were lower wattage rating or had no info at all.

Attachments:
photo_2019-06-25_22-35-38.jpg
photo_2019-06-25_22-35-38.jpg [ 167.54 KiB | Viewed 84 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Wed 26, 2019 4:09 am 

mark oppat at oldradioparts...

he will fix you up.

steve

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Moderators: Marcc, Norm Leal Go to page Previous  1, 2