Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sun 21, 2019 7:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Zenith Trans Oceanic L600
PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 2:37 pm 

pixellany wrote:
There was discussion at the beginning about the specs for replacement electrolytics, so I assumed it was done.

Indeed---replace all known "problem" parts--all electrolytics and paper/wax capacitors, out of tolerance resistors, etc. BEFORE TROUBLESHOOTING

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 4:17 pm 

pixellany wrote:
pixellany wrote:
There was discussion at the beginning about the specs for replacement electrolytics, so I assumed it was done.

Indeed---replace all known "problem" parts--all electrolytics and paper/wax capacitors, out of tolerance resistors, etc. BEFORE TROUBLESHOOTING

Well... I think that advice should be somewhat "skill level" dependent. If someone is a newbie to radio repair or electronics in general, wholesale replacement of all **possibly** bad components can be a recipe for disaster. Who knows how many new wiring errors or solder-blob shorts are going to be injected into the (unknown-status) work piece?

As an admitted "shoemaker" when it comes to the replacement of discrete components, what works for me (after about 55 years) is to figure out what JUST the bad components are through troubleshooting and then replace them; then go after the remaining "probable future failures" after the set is nominally working, so that I have an operating baseline to return to if necessary. If I were in the business of providing restoration services to the public, my repair method model might be different.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 4:47 pm 

Thank you for that link! I ordered the capacitor kit.
I wonder if there is a source for a replacement power cord reel for this radio?

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 5:41 pm 

KD4KO wrote:
Thank you for that link! I ordered the capacitor kit.

I don't think repro parts are for sale. You best bet would be to find a used part.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 10:45 pm 

I applied battery power to the radio but still get the put-put sound.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 11:31 pm 

Don't know where you're at for all the work required:

- Replace filter (electrolytic) capacitors
- Replace paper capacitors
- If necessary (often/sometimes), replace power supply rectifier

Check for radio operation along the way to catch mistakes early on is good (some people don't do this, but I do). Sometimes the radio won't work correctly until the last replacement component is installed.

Then start troubleshooting if necessary.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 12:23 am 

KD4KO wrote:

Try different combinations of the Radiorgan tone switches (16 possibilities) to see if any one kills the noise.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 12:33 am 

If I short the wiper of the volume control with a 50 volt 1.0 uf Bi-Polarized Cap to ground, the put-put sounds stops as expected.
If I do the same at the hot end, the audio is only slightly reduced. If I lift the wire coming from secondary of L26, the Put-put sound stops.
I'm trying to isolate the source of the problem without taking the 'shot gun' approach and replace everything.
My eye sight is not very good anymore.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 3:31 am 

Quote:

My observation after reading the schematic is that, even on battery power two of the four capacitors in the multi cap can are being used, C41C (40uf) and C41D (200uf). I have worked on many TOs and the multi cap can is always replaced/re-stuffed since they are always bad. C41C is connected to battery B+ and B- as well as when using AC power. C41D is connected to the filament line at pin 7 of the IF 1U4 tube and to B-. I believe that high leakage in one or both of these caps may be the cause of your motor boating. Try to jumper in good caps and disconnect the old ones, then try using battery power. I'm sure that on battery power the caps need not need be exact, anything close should do. C26 appears to be an optional cap in the schematic, so leaving it disconnect should be OK for now. (Every TO I have worked on has this cap)

Quote:

The rewind is a fairly simple arrangement to repair. The difficulty is finding a suitable power cord, as you stated. The most important feature of the power cord is that it needs to have a non-polarized right angle plug. This way the cord is able to be installed into the battery switch while still remaining concealed inside the case. There were some right angle plugs made as repair parts years ago. The current TO I am working on has one, its obviously quite old and not a recent addition. Another thing to consider is the size of the cord. I believe the wire to be around 18 gauge without bulky insulation. It needs to be small and supple enough to wind easily on the reel and make connections to the reel contacts.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 11:07 am 

Acknowledging various comments on my last comment.......

As a minimum, replace all electrolytics before attempting to trouble-shoot.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 22, 2019 8:00 pm 

While waiting for my capacitors to arrive I noticed that my radio chassis 6L41 has a trimmer opening at the left rear of the chassis. My schematic or pictorial does not indicate its function.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 22, 2019 10:32 pm 

That is A8. BC Padder for the 600 KC adjustment. No concern until you get to the point to do an alignment. All the 600's are the same with slight changes with each model. So while your fighting your problem, you want to make sure what you find under the chassis matches what is on the schematic that you are using. Go by what you see under the chassis UNLESS the solder points look different than the old solder points. Your new parts may clear up this problem. If not. You may have made a mistake. Then you need to go over everything you have done with the schematic. EVERYTHING... I had one where the second time around I found a cap soldered to pin-5 instead of pin-6 on a tube socket.

Good luck.
Freeman

PostPosted: Jun Sat 22, 2019 10:45 pm 

Thank you Freeman!

PostPosted: Jun Wed 26, 2019 1:20 am 

I'm waiting for my ZENITH TRANS-OCEANIC 500/600 SERIES FILT-R-PAK+ POWER SUPPLY MODULE/REPAIR KIT to arrive. I will use it in place of the Zenith filter cap. I was able to locate a power cord reel. I re-spooled with good wire.

In 1959 while in the USAF, and living at Elkhorn Neb, the hardware store was owned by a blind man. He also repaired radios and some TV. He sometimes found it hard to insert the miniature tubes, and would call on me to assist him.
He would even re-tube TVs; of course I would help him adjust the horizontal and vertical hold.

PostPosted: Jul Sat 20, 2019 5:45 pm 

I installed the 500/600 SERIES FILT-R-PAK+ POWER SUPPLY MODULE/REPAIR KIT.
I also purchased a capacitor kit for this radio, and installed the FIL-R-PAK and a few capacitors. My bad eye site prevented me from installing the rest.
I sent tha chassis and the WAVE - MAGNET to Tom at tomsoldradios.com to complete the installation of the other capacitors.
Tom also replaced the two IF transformers.

I am very pleased with his work

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 55 posts ]  Moderators: Marcc, Norm Leal Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3