Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 21, 2019 3:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Philco 46-200 Restore Or Scrap out?
PostPosted: Jun Mon 17, 2019 5:25 am 

I'd like to find an original speaker instead of making one fit. I wanna make this puppy like new again. I might fit one in temporarily though.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 23, 2019 7:48 am 

Here is the progess so far. I bought a whole parts chassis from Lou Degonzague on the forum. Just what I needed to have. Tubes included. Swapped the parts onto my radio and it sounds great and super loud with the new speaker. Replaced the can on the transformer too.

Pic of donor pre surgery

Parts removed

Since the donor radio came with all the tubes too I'm thinking of using it's converter and IF tubes though they are the 14A7 and 14B6 types. I will be bypassing the dropping resistor in series with the filaments currently in my radio. Only if they are good though. They just about all look like replacements so I'm hoping that they are good tubes.

Lou thought I would be dropping in his chassis into my cabinet but my radio is already recapped, makes more sense to just swap some components over. Also I like having it be as much -my- radio as I can keep it.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 4:12 pm 

You are having way more fun fixing it than if you had scrapped it. 8)

PostPosted: Jun Mon 24, 2019 4:31 pm 

Yes indeed! :)

I think I'm just about finished with the chassis. I had an issue where at the bottom of the dial it would stop oscillating. First I took out the tuner and put it in a small container with soap and water and slushed it around and brushed it a bit to get the bulk of the crap off. After this it went into my ultrasonic cleaner (barely fit) with alcohol, distilled water, and soap. I think the alcohol cancels out the suds from the soap, but i think the soap is still effective. Stayed in there for about 30 minutes. After this I gave it another round with only distilled water and a higher concentration of alcohol (about 8:1) took it out and brushed any remainder and gave it one more round for about 5 mins. Came out looking great minus some grease residue at the bearings. Cleaned up the remainder with some Q tips and re-lubricated with some light oil. Found a plate that would short out at the bottom of the sweep.

Image[/url]
Image[/url]

I put the tubes (7a8, 14a7, 14B6) from donor chassis into this radio. Though this 7A8 is also weak it's better than my previous one which is also going gassy judging from the getter. I bypassed the 80 ohm series resistor to work with the new higher filament tubes. The other two tubes are much better than the ones they replaced which were very weak, these other ones test almost NOS. I think the 7A8 from the donor might be original. Are there any other differences I should look out for?

Two issues I have left, need to give it a real alignment. I have it done by ear. I do hear repeated stations from the top of the dial near the bottom. Stations are properly spaced around the dial but I do hear 1690AM at around 640AM. I think there may be other repeats in there too. That's a weird number for it to be mirrored.

The speaker on this sound a bit tinny for my taste, not terrible but I have cheap radios from the 60s that sound nicer. Im guessing the nature of the beast? Speaker seems stiff, not broken but stiff by default. Do they sell recone kits for this type of speaker? Am interested in rebuilding the old speaker and maybe getting something that sounds better out of it.

That said this thing is just HUMMING along (but not capacitor hum!) and sounds and works better than ever before since i've owned it! A nice full dial with snappy tunning.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 2:47 am 

I have a wreck of a 46-200 too! After a recap and output transformer it plays great!
It is now my favorite AA5.

Rob

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 3:46 am 

tube42 wrote:
I do hear repeated stations from the top of the dial near the bottom. Stations are properly spaced around the dial but I do hear 1690AM at around 640AM. I think there may be other repeats in there too. That's a weird number for it to be mirrored.

I had a similar situation with a Zenith 8S-463 console with a built in rotating Wave Magnet antenna, and a connection for an outdoor antenna as well. When connected to the outdoor 240 foot random length long wire, it would receive several upper dial stations below about 700 KC, but when the outside antenna was D/C, and just the air loop was used, the phenomenon stopped. I have no explanation.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 5:30 am 

Before I do the alignment,

I'd like to rebuild the loop antenna. I have a loop which is what I'm using with it at the moment and could be glued in or on the back, But I would much rather try and make it a loop like the one it had from the factory, I have a picture that shows a close up of one and I may be capable of counting the turns there, but does anyone here who has one of these wanna volunteer to get me a turn count?

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 5:29 pm 

All ya gotta do is ask;

Attachments:
Philco 48-200 antenna coil, 17 turns.jpg
Philco 48-200 antenna coil, 17 turns.jpg [ 236.31 KiB | Viewed 444 times ]
Philco antenna.jpg
Philco antenna.jpg [ 139.41 KiB | Viewed 444 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Tue 25, 2019 8:25 pm 

excellent! Thanks! :D

Now to find me a 7A8.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 27, 2019 2:07 am 

For $42 you can get all the parts you need here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-PHILCO ... SwyWddB6fO

NOTE: Whoops, I posted this too late. Looks like you have everything you need.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 01, 2019 10:30 am 

Hmmm

So I have put the chassis back into the cabinet while I make the antenna, been using it every night to listen a fantastic show on 1690 WVON "the b sides", great great funk music hours non stop.

The radios volume can get OBNOXIOUSLY loud when I am even at 50% of the knobs range. Not exactly the best sound but loud. Last night I turned it on and for whatever reason now I have much less volume, kinda like it was before I restored it and as I remember it from when I last had it at as a daily driver. Interestingly, the tone it has now to me seems a lot nicer and warmer. I think its the highs being cut out but also seems to be something else. I wish it sounded more like this in regular use.

Either way its an issue. The 50L6 I noticed gets really hot but I expected a lot of heat from it. I cant tell if its hotter this time around but when I tried moving that tube around to see if it was a bad connection, I almost burnt my finger. I used a folded paper towel to wiggle it and even then couldnt bare the heat much. I feel a hot spot directly over that tube on the cabinet, very warm, more warm than any other hot spot on a radio I've owned before. Wish I had taken the temp when it worked right. I did take the bias voltage previously and it measured within range, will take it again today.

EDIT:

Took it apart really quick to find that the voltage on the plate of the 14B6 has now gone down to around 40 volts. When I fixed this radio I think I had around 60. I also notice touching the pot or chassis makes this thing hum which is weird and did not happen before. Maybe because the AVC is trying to step up the gain so much that it picks up any kind of noise? All other stages seem to be ok. When I touch the volume control with a lead the buzz that results at the speaker seems good.

EDIT2:

I put back the original detector and my plate voltage when up to around 52 however this is probably just due to the tube being weak (why it was replaced) and the volume is still too low. Anyone here wanna give me a clue as to what this may be about?

EDIT3:

I checked the AVC voltage and it looks like it never goes lower than -1V.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 02, 2019 3:59 am 

Anyone have the right schematic for this thing?

The one I have doesn't quite match right. :?

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 32 posts ]  Moderators: Marcc, Norm Leal Go to page Previous  1, 2