Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 30, 2020 11:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 7G605 clipper band switch problem affecting all bands
PostPosted: Jul Fri 26, 2019 5:29 am 

I have been working on a early Zenith Clipper 7G605 with the sail boat grill. I have recapped it and repaired damage from the prior owner. I also had to buy a extra chassis for the parts. When I was finally bench testing it nothing came out. I cleaned the tuner and the switches and checked the electrical wiring since I had moved the wiring around a lot . I final bypassed the antenna set up and I got good clear AM signal with a antenna clipped to the chassis lead in on the switches. I moved the antenna probe all around to see if it was the antenna lead in wiring, or the BC SW antenna set up. That is a terrible set up. It only played when the antenna was clipped to the lead in on the tuning condenser or the switch lead in ..I feel it is a problem in the band switches and was thinking of taking a couple more days to put the doner chassis switches on it but I do not know how to do the alignment. It does not seem very easy to replace t but does someone have an idea why it will not work. I know every thing goes thru that BC switch but it does seem to want to receive SW when the band switches are used. Tom

Post subject: Re: Zenith 7G605 clipper band switch problem affecting all b
PostPosted: Jul Fri 26, 2019 1:41 pm 

The problem with Transoceanics is that the broadcast band pushbutton was usually left depressed when the set was put into storage, and tarnish develops there; as you know, the contacts on that particular switch are critical for operation of the other bands. Before going through the trouble of switch replacement, I would do a continuity check of all contacts associated with that switch; you may have a contact that is still open. Try some Deoxit sparingly on the switch; cycling the switch between broadcast and one of the SW bands repeatedly for five or ten minutes will usually make it work.