Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 19, 2019 2:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Concertina Telefunken
PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 11:58 pm 

So I inherited a Telefunken radio (and a few more radios from the 40s and older). I am starting with the Telefunken because I know this radio was working perfectly in Germany. Problem is I am living the US. How difficult/involved is it to get the radio to work in the US? And yes, I am totally new this antique radio game, so I apologize if this is a really dumb question I just do not want to damage the radio by just changing the plug to match US outlets. And the Telefunken was my radio growing up in Germany; I never saw the need to purchase a more modern one because no modern radio looked as good.

Post subject: Re: Concertina Telefunken
PostPosted: Jun Mon 17, 2019 7:17 am 

It's a piece of cake, actually. All you need to do is (1) Cut off the AC plug end and install a USA-style one; (2) remove the back panel of the radio and move the voltage selector switch from its 220V position to its 110V position; and (3) replace the cartridge-type fuse with one that is rated for half the voltage/twice the current of the one installed for Euro operation, then replace the panel. (I don't recall how many voltages are supported by the switch; if the option exists, a better choice would be 120 or 125 volts.)

Depending on the age of your radio, its FM tuner (if so equipped) may not go all the way to 108 MHz. Until the early 1960s the band was capped at 100 MHz (and, later, 104 MHz) for those sets which were to be used in Europe.