Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sat 20, 2019 6:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rubber Wiring (A little advice please)
PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 6:00 pm 

Yeah, it's been like that for many years without a doubt and will be just the same for many, many more to come.

Thank you all very much for your replies!!

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 10:10 pm 

Steve didn’t come out and say that crumbling wires should be replaced, but he kind of implied it with his pictures. Did you notice that he also did not badger those who believe it is fine to leave them in. Difference of opinion is good. If you keep an open mind, you just might learn something.

Like your signature statement at the bottom.
Freeman

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 11:05 pm 

I remember a Crosley console Radio phonograph I worked on about 20 years ago with that notorious Crosley wiring. I opted to leave it be. So I recapped it some, tuned it up and played it a few hours. Till the power transformer burned up that night. Rewire it.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 12:20 am 

Hey if we are talking car analogies, how about, if you find an old vintage classic car in a barn, do you see if it can run and then drive it around as found? If it has decades old brake lines that are known to corrode and may blow out eventually, do you just drive it carefully and not stomp on the brakes and hope you can always stop? Tires look a bit weary? Lot of those wires are laying against or in contact with the chassis, or pass thru holes in the chassis. They are not all floating out in mid air where nothing will ever touch them. But I assume you would consider that when judging whether or not to do anything with a particular wire. Guess it is judgement and a careful examination versus us guessing but caution is advised.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 3:59 am 

Freeman wrote:
Steve didn’t come out and say that crumbling wires should be replaced, but he kind of implied it with his pictures. Did you notice that he also did not badger those who believe it is fine to leave them in. Difference of opinion is good. If you keep an open mind, you just might learn something.

Like your signature statement at the bottom.
Freeman

thank you on all that.

steve

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 4:05 am 

I have used Elmers white glue and run a bead or drizzle some along the entire cracked rubber length. It will form itself in a thin coating around the wire. When it dries, it's clear and it will hold what rubber is still there in place.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 20, 2019 10:23 pm 

Most of the time I will leave the stuff alone. That said, it pays to know what wire is doing what. If you have, for example, a radio with crappy old wiring and if you see any of the high tension or otherwise wires that are doing more of the high current type work that has damage, I will tend to replace it. Unless you intentionally disturb the old insulation nothing is going to happen. That said it all depends on you.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 21, 2019 4:34 pm 

Look on eBay for " UL-3135 wire " It will bring up a high flexibility wire with silicone rubber insulation.... It is available in black and other colors.

I say if the old brittle insulation is still in place, leave it alone.... The only exception is that on the top side of the chassis, etc. The flexible rubber covered wires to grid caps are likely to be crumbled away.... Ditto for loop antenna wiring, etc. That is where the UL-3135 wire can make a dandy replacement that will look just like the old stuff after you buff off the printing with a bit of 400 grit sandpaper. One vendor will sell you 30 meter lengths. Just be sure you match wire O.D. NOT wire gauge. You may have to go up or down one wire gauge to match wire O.D.

I'm using it to recreate really accurate appearance battery cables for 20s vintage sets...

As far as I can tell, they don't have solid wire with the same insulation.... But I have actually stripped short lengths of the insulation and then pushed it over solid buss wire. (Where there is a will, there is a way...)

Robert

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 28 posts ]  Moderators: Marcc, Norm Leal Go to page Previous  1, 2