Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 29, 2020 1:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1963 Zenith Console Model ML2685 Right Channel Hiss
PostPosted: Jul Wed 12, 2017 10:20 pm 

I just got the Zenith Console back together( My first recap job) and now have a static hiss(white noise) in the right speakers. The noise is not volume level related. It happens instantly when the unit is powered up before the tubes have warmed up and the radio signal begins . It occurs no matter what source is selected, am,fm phono or tape. It occurs with the volume in the most minimum position. I have tried switching the speaker wires and the noise moves to the other side when wires are switched. The level of the noise never increases or decreases even when turning up the volume, it is a steady constant. I am not sure if the noise was present before the recap job or not as the unit would barely produce sound. Other than this noise the unit seems to working as it should with great sound and sensitivity. Anyone ever experienced this or have any ideas where to start looking for the cause of this? Thanks Dan

Post subject: Re: 1963 Zenith Console Model ML2685 Right Channel Hiss
PostPosted: Jul Thu 13, 2017 3:47 am 

Is it hiss or hum? Did you install a grounded power cord?

PostPosted: Jul Thu 13, 2017 4:01 am 

Its definitely not hum, I know what that sounds like. Best I can describe it is like when tuning a radio between stations, the static hiss you hear but soft. It never goes away, it stays constant but you can turn the volume up enough that you don't really hear it unless you really pay attention. No the original power cord is also in great condition(no cracks, almost as a new cord)so I left it alone

PostPosted: Jul Thu 13, 2017 10:52 am 

Is there a safety cap installed from line to ground?

PostPosted: Jul Thu 13, 2017 4:36 pm 

I'll have to take a look, It's been a few months since I recapped the tuner and amp and I cant remember. I should probably mention that this is a Hybrid unit. The tuner and pre amp circuit have both tubes and transistors and the separate amp is all transistor.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 15, 2020 9:10 pm 

dcrews1969 wrote:
I just got the Zenith Console back together( My first recap job) and now have a static hiss(white noise) in the right speakers. The noise is not volume level related. It happens instantly when the unit is powered up before the tubes have warmed up and the radio signal begins . It occurs no matter what source is selected, am,fm phono or tape. It occurs with the volume in the most minimum position. I have tried switching the speaker wires and the noise moves to the other side when wires are switched. The level of the noise never increases or decreases even when turning up the volume, it is a steady constant. I am not sure if the noise was present before the recap job or not as the unit would barely produce sound. Other than this noise the unit seems to working as it should with great sound and sensitivity. Anyone ever experienced this or have any ideas where to start looking for the cause of this? Thanks Dan

What was the cause?

PostPosted: Sep Wed 16, 2020 2:13 pm 

since its a old ss amp its likely a leaky/noisy germanium transistor.
a simple audio tracer should pinpoint the noisy stage.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 16, 2020 2:31 pm 

This is hybrid-technology set: mostly vacuum tubes in the receiver but there is a solid-state amp in the unit. I recommend looking there for a leaky transistor in the signal path of the noisy channel. Transistors are almost certainly germanium in this set.

An oscilloscope would be helpful in localizing the bum gain stage... you can compare the "bad" channel signals with the "good" one.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 18, 2020 4:50 am 

I would suggest it could also be a tube? Just that a tube swap would tell you right away and would be the easiest fix.
Focus on the audio section after the volume control. Unfortunately, from the description it sounds like that section is transistors only. Good luck.