Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 01, 2021 1:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Stumped on a Radiola 60
PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 3:56 am 

Recently acquired a Radiola 60 from a friend to get working again. Started with a recap and have checked all resistor values. As far as the PSU goes, all voltages are right on the dot. However, I’m getting nothing as far as sound goes besides a 60hz hum.

Assuming the problem lies in the chassis. I checked and double checked my work and I replaced the 1uf cap in the single black cap can and the two 0.5uf caps in the other. In the second can my understanding was that the center post (out of the three) was ground and I wired it as such. Besides possibly mis-wiring, the only other problem I can think of is that when I received it it had a 45 tube in place of the 71A. That, and on the terminal strip terminals 8 and 9 were left open with 10 and 11 each having their own blue and green (two wires to each). Looking at the service manual it had this as (8) Green, (9) Green, (10) Blue, (11) Blue and I corrected it to that rather than how they were doubled up prior. However, where I’m not at now, I’m not pulling any stations and don’t even get a sign of life except glow from all tubes and a 60hz hum.

I’m stumped... where should I go from here?

-Tom P.

Post subject: Re: Stumped on a Radiola 60
PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 2:57 pm 

Just guessing - 8 and 9 (green) are the filament wires for
the 71 tube (5 volts). 10 and 11 are the filament wires for
the 27's (blue)

It seems whoever had the set previously had problems
with the 71 filament circuit (5 volts) and tried to convert
it to use a 45 (2.5 volt filament like a 27) by tying the
wires to the 27 filament circuit.

After you put the wires back where they go, what's the
Voltage between 8 and 9? Should be 5 volts if the winding
is ok. If you're getting the right voltage, then you need a
71 tube. Now this assumes the power transformer windings are ok, and nothing was done to modify the
set for 45 bias.

Post subject: Re: Stumped on a Radiola 60
PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 3:29 pm 

Make sure that the tubes are all happy: that is, that they have the correct filament and plate voltages. This set has a zillion interstage transformers (OK, I'm exaggerating!) any one of which could have an open primary which will kill plate current to one of the tubes. So, a quick DC voltage check at the tube sockets can rule that out. Can also use the "second radio" method to see if the local oscillator is running.