Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 04, 2021 3:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: G500 Zenith Transoceanic alignment issue
PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 9:25 pm 

I’m thinking about this, but would like some help. The alignment on the IFs went well…one of the coils was off only slightly. But on the next step, the alignment on the broadcast band, is off. I followed the alignment procedure (aligning at 1600, 1400, and 600 KHz). But, even with minimum capacitance on the three caps across the big tuning cap, I just can’t bring it in…I’m running at least 30 kHz high. That’s the best I can do. Example: the local station on 770 kHz tunes in at about 790 kHz. That’s the best I can do. Same problem up and down the band. Ideas?

Richard

Post subject: Re: G500 Zenith Transoceanic alignment issue
PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 9:51 pm 

The dial pointer is friction-fit and can be easily pulled off and repositioned where-ever you want.

Before you do this, however, first check that the pointer is horizontal at both ends of travel... if not, pull the pointer and reset it so that the difference is split equally.

Re-align on broadcast band (skip the IF steps) and if the dial/frequency concurrence is still not satisfactory, reposition the dial pointer to give agreement at the low end of the dial. You should then be able to use the trimmer adjustments to get it tweaked in at the high end of the dial.

Note that if you re-align on the broadcast band, it will be necessary to re-align all of the shortwave bands, too. Reason being that the trimmers on the tuning cap which are adjusted during the broadcast band alignment, while not touched as part of the shortwave alignment steps, also affect the shortwave bands.

Last edited by lorenz200w on Sep Tue 21, 2021 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 10:36 pm 

Lorenz is right. If your off 20kc up and down the dial, then you did everything correct. Your dial pointer is off.

Freeman

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 8:38 pm 

Gents,

You were both correct. I followed your guidance, and it fixed the problem. Easy. A good pointer to remember. Thank you.

Richard

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 10:37 pm 

That one was easy because I made the same mistake with my first G500 alignment and it took me a while to finger it out. We mark it up to a learning experience.

Freeman