Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 05, 2021 9:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: BC-348Q Filaments
PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 11:08 pm 

Hi All.

I'm working my way up the learning curve on boatanchors and military radios. Have not called 911 for anything so far and I intend to keep it that way.
I do have a BC-348Q that I need on the air. It had the dynamotor - not operational - so I built a power supply for it.

I'm at the point I have to change the filament wiring to handle the 6.3V AC from my Hammond HX261M6 transformer.

I am following the surplus conversion document published in 1948. It has the filament modifications that need to be made.
I am ok with the modifications for the 1st IF, 2nd IF, 3rd IF and Output. Where I am having trouble is the line they want between the OSC and 1st RF.

Highlighted in attached.
Is that required and where can I make that connection?

Is there a better way to handle this?

Attachments:
6.png
6.png [ 133.55 KiB | Viewed 375 times ]

Post subject: Re: BC-348Q Filaments
PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 11:39 pm 

The BC-348 receivers were meant to operate off the 28-VDC bus in larger planes. So with eight, six volt tubes they put two groups of four in series. R501A is a dropping resistor to get from 28 volts down to 24 and R501B is a balancing resistor used because the output tube heater draws more current than the other tubes' heaters. To convert to 6.3 volt operation the resistors are bypassed and the series circuits are converted to parallel.

So with the resistors bypassed as shown, the center horizontal line becomes your 6.3 volt AC "hot" line and the chassis of the radio is ground. What they are telling you to do is find the heater wire that goes from the first RF tube, either pin 2 or pin 7, to the second RF tube on pin 2 or pin 7. Ground one end of it. Then find the wire that goes from either pin 2 or pin 7 of the first RF tube to pin 2 or pin 7 of the oscillator tube. One end of that should be connected to the 6.3 volt "hot" line at any convenient point.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 12:33 am 

I got one of those that had a beautiful conversion to AC power. All the 6.3VAC filament connections were done with a twisted pair of wires and looked like they came that way from the factory. The radio operation was terrible with oscillation and overloading on all bands. I removed one of the twisted pair wires and grounded one side of the filament to the chassis on each stage. That got rid of the feedback through the filament circuit and the radio worked great.

Jay

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 1:44 am 

These read like hearer tubes, if so I go with the idea of parallel. It should be noted that a lot of manufacturers staggered the wire so that if heaters were 2 & 7? Pin 2 was perhaps grounded and on the next one pin 7 and so on. Watch the wire gauge. I have sets here where somebody forgot (factory) that as you get closer to the transformer the current in the wire increases.

Marcc

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 9:06 pm 

Now I can see what I need to accomplish.

Thanks Chris08 for the clarification on that.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 11:43 pm 

I must be missing something totally obvious.

I have the filaments wired to match the schematic for 6.3V Ac. Or at least I verified that as best I can.

I expected a good continuity signal from my MM from pin #3 or 4 of the Jones plug. Or from lugs 1-5 that were connected to the now missing dynamotor.

I get bumpkis.

I was going to pull the 6.3V AC in and test the heaters. I cant do that unless I have good test results from the MM that everything is properly connected. IMHO.

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments:
wiring3.png
wiring3.png [ 170.85 KiB | Viewed 255 times ]