Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 19, 2019 6:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Curing a Cabinet
PostPosted: Dec Sun 30, 2018 6:20 pm 

After spray painting a cabinet, what is the recommended time you let the paint " cure " before installing the chassis, dial, etc:? Someone mentioned up to 11 days?

Attachments:
Cabinet 1.jpg
Cabinet 1.jpg [ 12.13 KiB | Viewed 451 times ]

Post subject: Re: Curing a Cabinet
PostPosted: Dec Sun 30, 2018 6:54 pm 

Sounds about right... I usually wait a couple weeks, just so that it has cured good and hard so it does not "take fingerprints" when you pick it up... I have had this happen in the past on a freshly painted Silvertone 4500A... Only waited a few days and when I picked it up, I found my fingerprints had left marks in the paint... Had to start over again... Let it set a couple weeks in the store room in the basement the 2nd time and all was well... It will be worth the wait to prevent having issues... If it was a automotive type paint job a few days would be okay but I was using rattle cans from the hardware store...

PostPosted: Dec Sun 30, 2018 6:54 pm 

If you used enamel paint you can speed the curing up dramatically by baking it in an oven at 170-180 deg. F. I've never painted a radio but it's worked great for everything else I've tried it on. I bake for 30 minutes to an hour and let it cool off inside the oven. The repeat a couple of times.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 30, 2018 8:11 pm 

The cure time (dry time) totally depends on the type of paint. In my business, we have to handle cabinets the next day after painting, so we use “water-based” lacquers that cure rock hard by the next day. These are not catalyzed paints, so I am not talking about that. Some paints can take a week or more to get hard. Use your fingernail at spot on the cabinet that doesn’t show to test for hardness.

Norm

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 3:21 pm 

Due to our EPA can paint is junk these days.The worst curing paint is rustoleum.Any paint that takes a week to cure isnt worth buying.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 6:35 pm 

radionut wrote:
Due to our EPA can paint is junk these days.The worst curing paint is rustoleum.Any paint that takes a week to cure isnt worth buying.

I use Rustoleum Gloss Enamel all the time and prefer it over Krylon. I've found putting on one coat thick enough for it to "flow" works best for me. I do have problems with it crinkling if I need a second coat and it hasn't fully cured. If the item is small enough I'll bake it in the oven and can get it fully cured in less than a day. Some Rustoleum paints cure faster than other too. I was really impressed with their new metallic paint and primer that I used for a Radiola speaker: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=310376.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 14, 2019 2:17 am 

I sprayed on 3 coats of Rustoleum Gloss Enamel ( 1 coat per 24hrs ) and let it sit for 1 week to "cure." The finish came out beautiful and hard as a rock. No smudges, no fingerprints. After re-capping and tuning, I then placed the chassis back in cabinet and it looks as beautiful as it plays.

Very happy with the results.