Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 17, 2019 8:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1920,s casket radio metal top cover Wrinkel finish
PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 1:34 am 

Today I have refinish a metal cover in a wrinkle finish. Wrinkle finishes were common on many metal cabinets , I've seen many that were in dire need of refinishing, most were satin black but have seen others that were in the brown color family. I'm not sure of this model radio but remember the owner saying it was a very uncommon set. When I stripped it the metal had many pot marks and pits that had to be filled and smoothed out, I want to say its aluminum or pot metal, the mold it came out of must not had been very smooth, any way I repaired the imperfections and primed with a good automotive primer, then sanded smooth. After those steps I proceeded to lay on 3 back to back coats of wrinkle finish paint and just look how nice it came out. It looks new again and resembles the factory finish! Also I mite add the sides and back cover of this radio was painted in a hammer effect paint in a satin finish. If I had chose to I could have did a very smooth high gloss on this as well with correcting any imperfections on the lid like a car finish.. Maybe I can post some pics when the customer assembly's the radio. The factory had a primer on there which was stripped off along with some filler they use just as I did to fill in imperfections.

Attachments:
File comment: Lot of pitting
august 2019 422.jpg
august 2019 422.jpg [ 327.74 KiB | Viewed 191 times ]
august 2019 424.jpg
august 2019 424.jpg [ 317.35 KiB | Viewed 191 times ]
File comment: Sanding bondo off to smooth out and filling any pin holes and grinding marks from what factory did.
august 2019 426.jpg
august 2019 426.jpg [ 270.31 KiB | Viewed 191 times ]
File comment: All sanded
august 2019 429.jpg
august 2019 429.jpg [ 155.46 KiB | Viewed 191 times ]
File comment: Sanding the 3 coats of primer I had sprayed on earlier in the day. Note the black mist, that's a guide coat I sprayed on that helps find imperfections such as pin holes.
august 2019 432.jpg
august 2019 432.jpg [ 211.58 KiB | Viewed 191 times ]
File comment: 3 good wet coats of wrinkle paint,
august 2019 438.jpg
august 2019 438.jpg [ 159.81 KiB | Viewed 191 times ]
File comment: Wala, 45 minutes later.
august 2019 439.jpg
august 2019 439.jpg [ 332.08 KiB | Viewed 191 times ]
august 2019 443.jpg
august 2019 443.jpg [ 452.07 KiB | Viewed 191 times ]
august 2019 441.jpg
august 2019 441.jpg [ 299.52 KiB | Viewed 191 times ]
august 2019 444.jpg
august 2019 444.jpg [ 400.63 KiB | Viewed 191 times ]

Post subject: Re: 1920,s casket radio metal top cover Wrinkel finish
PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 4:04 am 

Nice workmanship. That looks great. Hope you can post more when it's back together. Did you use one of the Rustoleum products or some other technique to get the wrinkle effect?

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 4:13 am 

Quote:
After those steps I proceeded to lay on 3 back to back coats of wrinkle finish paint

What's the brand, and where can that paint be purchased, if you don't mind spilling. Or is this one of those "if I tell you I'll have to kill you" questions? :wink:

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 8:33 pm 

Looks good Fred but I'd say this was an easy job for wrinkle paint.... What drives me crazy is trying to work the greatly rounded features of the AK 35, Day-Fan Jr (5055), Crosley, Silvertone, etc. "Tool Boxes". I've never gotten even film thickness using the spray cans... Even with the cabinet attached to a rotating arbor. Have never tried a detail gun....

Robert

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 8:59 pm 

fifties wrote:
Quote:
After those steps I proceeded to lay on 3 back to back coats of wrinkle finish paint

What's the brand, and where can that paint be purchased, if you don't mind spilling. Or is this one of those "if I tell you I'll have to kill you" questions? :wink:

Not sure what he uses but most Auto parts stores carry VRT wrinkle finish spray paint or something similar...I hear the enviro- nazzis have seen to it that you can only buy black or red wrinkle finish (I know folks that get around that by lightly going over the wrinkle with another color of conventional spray paint).
Another advantage of shopping paint in Auto parts stores is that most of their regular paint colors match car colors and car colors are usually totally different colors from paints carried by home improvement stores... Also some Auto parts stores can custom make a rattle can to match a color the way home improvement stores can make you a custom color gallon of latex paint for your living room walls. (Yet most home stores won't make you a rattle can and most Auto parts stores won't sell you a gallon of latex paint)...
At any rate if you strike out on a for match in rattle cans at your home improvement store, it can be worth poking your head into an auto parts store...there are also some art supply stores that carry odd colors of spray paint that neither home stores nor auto parts houses stock.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 9:06 pm 

Thx for the tip, EM. To add to the virtues of buying rattle cans at auto parts stores, I've found their nozzles to be much better than those used on the cans sold at Lowes or HD.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 11:17 pm 

fifties wrote:
Quote:

Here ya go its no secret, just have to learn how to spray it even and 3 good wet coats back to back over lapping. Your local Auto parts store should have it.

Attachments:
august 2019 452.jpg
august 2019 452.jpg [ 158.44 KiB | Viewed 127 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Fri 13, 2019 4:38 am 

My favorite primer come from the auto parts store. I have found Dupli-Color primer and filler better than other primers for restoration projects. It fills small hairline cracks and edges to provide a really smooth surface for the color coat.

I've used our local NAPA paint store for matching the tone arm paint on a 1938 RCA Victor Special Model M record player, and the gold accent on a 1949 RCA record player cabinet. Unlike the home improvement stores, this automotive paint store does not use computer matching technology (a little hard to bring your car in and fit it under a color analyzer) so matching is done visually with color chip books). Getting a good match depends a lot on the skill and experience of the employee. I have been very satisfied with the results, though.

There are two options once you have agreed on a match, depending on the nature of the repair. You can go for a small bottle of touch-up paint, or a rattle can. Neither is cheap. IIRC, the touch-up bottles run between $10 and $15, and the aerosol spray runs over $20. However, if you need to match an existing color or want to the most authentic restoration, it's worth the cost.

And it's fun to watch the reaction from the store personnel when when you walk in with a tone arm and they ask what part of the car is that?

PostPosted: Sep Fri 13, 2019 5:07 am 

Ed Morris wrote:

And it's fun to watch the reaction from the store personnel when when you walk in with a tone arm and they ask what part of the car is that?

ROTFLMAO!!

PostPosted: Sep Fri 13, 2019 5:07 am 

Hello Fred,
yes that is the paint I am going to buy .
you say spray 3 wet coats back to back .
what I like doing when I use spray paint is to use multiple thin coats I have never used the wrinkle paint thou

sincerely rich

PostPosted: Sep Fri 13, 2019 1:59 pm 

radiorich wrote:
Hello Fred,
yes that is the paint I am going to buy .
you say spray 3 wet coats back to back .
what I like doing when I use spray paint is to use multiple thin coats I have never used the wrinkle paint thou

sincerely rich

I found that spraying thin to medium coats wont allow the paint to wrinkle very good, lay out a test panel and experiment before you try it on your project.