Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 19, 2019 12:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Aging new tweed Tolex - ideas?
PostPosted: Oct Sat 05, 2019 10:49 pm 

I think Ed will agree that removing the old covering as one piece will make your recover job a lot easier and which piece they laid down 1st,2nd, and so one. They covered these radios for a living and IMO were artist at doing it. You’ll find it time consuming, but very rewarding.

Someone here covered their Tube Tester box with tolex using the 3M Super 77 and it came out beautiful. I decided to put black Tolex on the inside top lid of my box and used the 77. Three days later I found it all rolled up lying on the Tester. I thought I read the directions on the can, but I must have missed something because a lot of people here rave about it. I have a crazy project going on now and will try it 1 more time. I found that once I laid the piece with 77 on it, it didn’t want to move or peel up.

Good luck on your recover and keep us in touch. I would be interested on how your aging process turns out.

Freeman

PostPosted: Oct Sun 06, 2019 11:59 pm 

3M 77 is good, but it doesn’t always adhere to some substrates right away. If applying to a flat surface, you can try cutting a piece of cardboard the same size, then place weights on top. Another tip is to lightly roughen the surface with sandpaper if it’s the least bit slick or glossy.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 07, 2019 12:38 am 

On the cabinet I recovered, I used a roller used like used for installing counter top laminate to apply pressure to the Tolex after laying it out flat.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 07, 2019 2:37 pm 

I think now that was my problem Ed. The tester was wood with clear coat from the factory. I sanded and resprayed the outside, but I probable didn't do the inside cover.

The rollers help a lot to smooth out the Tolex fabric. What I have is a lint remover with clear plastic wrap over the sticky part. Dollar Stores have them. Not sure how much pressure you can put on those cheap ones.

Freeman

PostPosted: Oct Mon 07, 2019 11:46 pm 

More thanks to you guys. I'm taking it all in! I recieved the set and just need the time now to start making that back panel.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 3:23 am 

I got on a roll this evening and basically completed the panel. I used 1/8 plywood, although I could've used 1/4". I spread tacky-glue on the main surface and spread it out evenly. On the edges I used a hot glue gun, then I folded over the Tolex again and used the glue gun. I installed a vintage looking 2-lug antenna/ground terminal on the back and soldered the wires to it leaving enough slack to lay the back down flat. I then rubbed it all down with Old Masters dark mahogany wiping stain. It instantly mellowed down the new yellowish Tolex. One more application and it will be hard to spot that it's new. I'm happy with it.
Thanks again to all that offered advice!

Attachments:
DSC00942.JPG
DSC00942.JPG [ 164.58 KiB | Viewed 106 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 3:44 am 

Looks great! Well done.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 10:44 am 

Ed Morris wrote:
Looks great! Well done.

Thanks. I ended up using products that I already had. I was so glad that the Tolex took the stain so nicely. It's funny, but with buying all the necessary materials to make this simple back panel, it costs me the price of the actual set itself! Haha. It was worth it though. This set is an early battery-only portable ('38-'39) using the low-drain tubes. It's a Sky Chief that was found in an long-closed electronics shop in Kansas. A skilled repairman did a lot of work to the chassis, which had many serious issues. Now with the new back and working like new, it's like a Phoenix rising from the ashes! :)

Attachments:
1939 Sky Chief.JPG
1939 Sky Chief.JPG [ 194.45 KiB | Viewed 94 times ]

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 12:25 pm 

Very nice set. It’s not unusual for a restoration to double or triple the cost of a set. If you do it frequently, you accumulate the supplies, materials, and tools you need, so you recover some of the cost in the long run.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 3:13 pm 

You may want to check the schematic. If that set had 2 antenna leads that were meant to to the back they may have been for a loop antenna mounted to the old back. Odds are this set used a loop and had no external antenna terminals. (Who would want to carry a portable that needed a 100' long wire to work properly?)

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 3:46 pm 

Electronic Memory wrote:
You may want to check the schematic. If that set had 2 antenna leads that were meant to to the back they may have been for a loop antenna mounted to the old back. Odds are this set used a loop and had no external antenna terminals. (Who would want to carry a portable that needed a 100' long wire to work properly?)

Thank you. Yes, one of the problems with the set was the missing loop antenna that would've been mounted on the original back. The repairman expertly wound a tubular replacement antenna (using a schematic from a similar Sky Chief radio) which he mounted on the inner side panel of the set. He left wires for an optional antenna and ground connection. The set really doesn't need it, but I have another early Imperial battery portable from '39 that has the same rear terminals from the factory.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 31 posts ]  Moderator: Peter Go to page Previous  1, 2