Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently May Thu 28, 2020 9:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: MAJESTIC 5725M CONSOLE
PostPosted: Nov Sat 09, 2019 12:22 am 

I obtained this radio last year & want some ‘expert’ advice, opinions etc. on what to do with the damage to the finish. THANKS in advance for your assistance. The “scratches” are ‘fairly’ deep.
Attachment:
31562CC6-910A-4B06-9F6C-0801A2D0F935.jpeg
31562CC6-910A-4B06-9F6C-0801A2D0F935.jpeg [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 630 times ]

Post subject: Re: MAJESTIC 5725M CONSOLE
PostPosted: Nov Sat 16, 2019 9:26 pm 

ONLY 89 ‘views’ so far - with NO comments &/or opinions, eh!!! I’m going to ask one of the ARF “RESIDENT EXPERTS EXTRODINAIRE” what he would suggest - Fred; what would you do with this ‘situation’? Many thanks to ANY of you Forumites who wish to chime in.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 4:32 am 

Most repairs of this type involve using a "burn in" kit. Basically what you do is with a special hot iron, you melt a special "stick" into the gouges and build the area up. When done properly it will make the area look significantly better but not perfect. Unless you practice a lot with various colors of stick to blend the different tones of the wood. You almost have to use a dark brown pen to give it some "fake" grain to match the regular wood grain. There are some youtube videos on this, but you would need to buy the burn in kit and some close colors of stick to start. Here is the Mohawk kit. Also most of this is done before you refinish the radio. Unless you have something like a dining room table with a gouge in it and you just want to make the area a little bit less noticeable.

https://www.mohawk-finishing.com/produc ... /burn-ins/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-d9btPTImI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xiyBjZuP_Q

tony

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 5:37 am 

Most of us would be happy to give the cabinet "the treatment" which hides the scratches. You can search this site for treatment.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 17, 2019 4:05 pm 

You will not get rid of the scratches totally, unless you re veneer the area. I usually strip and redo
a radio that has a lot of areas like your picture.
I have refinished a lot of radios, and I am not an expert , but any radios that I have done have come out looking pretty good.
I live in Calgary; if you like you can email me and maybe we can get together and see what can be done.
These old radios that have gouges and deep scratches are not going to look like they came out of
The factory , and we just do the best we can .
EMAIL ME AND WE CAN TALK
Dan in Calgary.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 2:56 am 

crazyaboutradio wrote:
ONLY 89 ‘views’ so far - with NO comments &/or opinions, eh!!! I’m going to ask one of the ARF “RESIDENT EXPERTS EXTRODINAIRE” what he would suggest - Fred; what would you do with this ‘situation’? Many thanks to ANY of you Forumites who wish to chime in.

Sorry I have been busy just saw this post. Sometimes you can sand out the scratches if there not to deep and refinish. Are you just wanting to do a touch up and not refinish? There is really no way to hide those scratches perfectly, there are some good suggestions already posted here. To make it go away you would have to re veneer and I know you don't like to here that. If you really like the radio I would fix it with a total refinish, sand out the scratches as much as you can without burning though the veneer and use grain filler on entire cabinet and refinish it. I've had to do that many times , spot repair never turn out satisfactory with that damage

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 7:03 pm 

One technique I've heard of and been experimenting with, on scratches that really are more of a long dent in the wood than a removal of wood from the surface, is using a wet towel and a clothes iron to steam the dent back up to or atleast close to level. If it still isn't perfect sanding to remove or reduce the surface variation is doable. If one can get the wood good enough that you can't see disturbance in the wood finish but reflections in the lacquer show a fine dent it may be possible to build up the lacquer thick over the spot and block sand the lacquer smooth then add a final coat.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 18, 2019 11:12 pm 

Many, many thanks to you who took the time to post your suggestions and recommendations - it is surely appreciated! Hey Fred - THANK YOU for your expert advice. My ‘other’ question for you is: “when are you NOT busy???”. Quality takes time and it shows in the photos you post here on the Forum! Your work, explanations & the photos themselves are all ENCOURAGING INSPIRATION to & for the ‘rest of us’. I - somehow - hope to salvage this ‘finish’ as they’re ONLY ORIGINAL ONCE!!! If I have to strip & refinish - it's not the end of the world or the radio. Again - MAHALO!