Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 06, 2019 1:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Crosley Playtime g-father clock radio and some questions
PostPosted: Nov Sat 09, 2019 10:42 pm 

Adding water slide decals is not a bad idea, but they were not on this model when it left the factory.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 15, 2019 4:39 am 

Making some progress. Applied a coat of Restore-A-Finish. It's not that glossy, just wet from the fresh application and the camera flash. It took 5 scrubs with Go-Jo to finally get all that nicotine off. :roll:

Attachment:
Playtime case-12s.jpg
Playtime case-12s.jpg [ 182.1 KiB | Viewed 180 times ]

Larry

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 5:29 am 

Brought it upstairs today. I haven't put the chassis in or the speaker just yet. I wanted to keep it as lite as possible to carry it up. Next up is the speaker grill cloth installation.

Attachment:
Playtime case-15s.jpg
Playtime case-15s.jpg [ 136.09 KiB | Viewed 150 times ]

Larry

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 8:05 pm 

It's looking great so far! Nice work!

PostPosted: Nov Tue 19, 2019 10:05 pm 

Thanks. I had a brain freeze when I was putting the clock back together. Take note the hour hand should be halfway between the 3 and the 4 instead of nearly on top of the 4. Oye! :oops:

It's a pain to pull the clock out the back and fix it but I guess I'll have to.

Larry

PostPosted: Nov Thu 21, 2019 12:57 am 

OK, removed the clock and fixed the hands, reinstalled the original speaker cloth (after washing and scrubbing it 3 times yesterday to get the nicotine out), reinstalled the speaker, and temporarily installed one of my extra chassis. I have a chassis that was supposedly refurbed but I want to check it out and that will be an after holidays Winter project.

Attachment:
Playtime case-20s.jpg
Playtime case-20s.jpg [ 122.34 KiB | Viewed 120 times ]

Larry

PostPosted: Nov Fri 22, 2019 12:49 am 

You are fortunate to have been able to clean the fabric. These are nice examples of 1931 radios.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 23, 2019 12:38 am 

I forgot to mention earlier, the clock works. Took a bit to get it going at first but she's running fine now. I don't like the way it's wired thru that surface mounted single recepticle that the chassis plugs into so I think I am going to modify it. I'm going to replace that single outlet with a surface mounted duplex then add a plug to the clock wire. That way if I need to pull the clock for any reason I can simply unplug it rather than having to pull apart that surface mounted receptacle.

I hadn't noticed a previous owner had threading the clock wire thru the left front mounting hole for the chassis when I replaced the power cord so I had to take it apart again. This is the junction that's going to get replaced with a duplex.

Attachment:
Playtime case-4s.jpg
Playtime case-4s.jpg [ 224.34 KiB | Viewed 97 times ]

Larry

PostPosted: Nov Sat 23, 2019 12:39 am 

I'm open to suggestions for an antenna since I'm having no luck locating a Crosley Tennaboard.

Larry

PostPosted: Nov Sun 24, 2019 6:01 pm 

Mine did not have an antenna, so I use a wire laying on the floor.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 02, 2019 7:18 pm 

rocketeer wrote:
I forgot to mention earlier, the clock works. Took a bit to get it going at first but she's running fine now. I don't like the way it's wired thru that surface mounted single recepticle that the chassis plugs into so I think I am going to modify it. I'm going to replace that single outlet with a surface mounted duplex then add a plug to the clock wire. That way if I need to pull the clock for any reason I can simply unplug it rather than having to pull apart that surface mounted receptacle.

I hadn't noticed a previous owner had threading the clock wire thru the left front mounting hole for the chassis when I replaced the power cord so I had to take it apart again. This is the junction that's going to get replaced with a duplex.

Attachment:
Playtime case-4s.jpg

Larry

I'd.leave it original. If the clock fails and you want to run the radio independently just unplug the radio from that recptical, unplug the.main power cord, and if the radio cord is too short use an extension cord to connect it to the wall... another option would be to add a vintage inline cord mount switch on the clock lead.

Most radios made before the mid 30s were designed for an outdoor long wire antenna and not an internal loop... depending on sensitivity of the set and local signal conditions sometimes you can clip one end of a loop from a junk set and get good signal, other times an indoor wire is needed and other cases (typically low tube count sets, deep fringe reception locations, and or houses.with metal roofing, siding.or other Faraday cage like construction) and outdoor long wire is needed the only thing good enough....

PostPosted: Dec Tue 03, 2019 1:06 am 

Electronic Memory wrote:
I'd.leave it original. If the clock fails and you want to run the radio independently just unplug the radio from that recptical, unplug the.main power cord, and if the radio cord is too short use an extension cord to connect it to the wall... another option would be to add a vintage inline cord mount switch on the clock lead.

Most radios made before the mid 30s were designed for an outdoor long wire antenna and not an internal loop... depending on sensitivity of the set and local signal conditions sometimes you can clip one end of a loop from a junk set and get good signal, other times an indoor wire is needed and other cases (typically low tube count sets, deep fringe reception locations, and or houses.with metal roofing, siding.or other Faraday cage like construction) and outdoor long wire is needed the only thing good enough....

My intent is to be able to unplug the clock to remove it to work on as oppossed to having to disassemble that plug assembly in order to get it out should it develop a problem. The Crosley Playtime originally came with a built-in Tennaboard antenna.

Larry

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 32 posts ]  Moderator: Peter Go to page Previous  1, 2