Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 21, 2020 12:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How difficult is it to strip wipe-on polyurethane?
PostPosted: Oct Sat 17, 2020 7:29 am 

I just received a repro cabinet for a vintage Marantz receiver. The photo on their website showed a nice rich brown finish on walnut veneer, but what I got is a light colored walnut with no stain that doesn't look like it even has any finish. I thought about applying Danish oil, but I found out from the seller the cabinet was treated with wipe-on poly, so there goes the Danish oil idea. Minwax Polyshades colored varnish is a possibility, but I used that on a radio several years ago and I wasn't happy with the results.

So, the only thing I can think of is to strip the poly so I can use the Danish oil or stain. Has anyone had any experience with stripping a wipe-on poly? It must be a thin coat because it looks like bare veneer. What kind of stripper works best for polyurethane?

Post subject: Re: How difficult is it to strip wipe-on polyurethane?
PostPosted: Oct Sat 17, 2020 8:31 am 
Site Admin

If there aren't any imperfections you need to remove and the only issue is the color is too light, apply a wash coat of shellac to it, then add stain to get the color you want, and lacquer on top of that.

Details: https://antiqueradios.com/features/lacquer.html

PostPosted: Oct Sun 18, 2020 12:23 am 

Alan,
If he seals the wood with the shellac wont the stain just sit on top of the wood ? Yes staining wood is
just depositing pigment on but also in the wood versus dye. Isnt this hard to get an even effect?

Thanks,
Bill

PostPosted: Oct Sun 18, 2020 5:05 am 
Site Admin

Sitting on top of the wood is the point of using the shellac. It mimics the effect of adding a layer of colored toner which doesn't soak into the wood surface. You can get the identical effect of a toner coat with a dye-based stain with the shellac. Getting an even layer is really easy; if you need a darker shade than you have or a different tint to the color, you can add additional wash coats of shellac and then more stain on top to adjust to where it is what you want.

PostPosted: Oct Mon 19, 2020 12:08 am 

The "stain" has to be a die type then for this to work? Most minwax "stain" is not a dye but a pigment.

Thanks

Bill

PostPosted: Oct Mon 19, 2020 4:47 am 
Site Admin

If you open the can and it looks like a transparent color, that works the best. If it's a pigment stain, it looks cloudy, that will work also, but the appearance will be slightly different as the pigments will obscure the grain underneath a little bit.