Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Fri 30, 2021 12:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help finding someone who does faux "Catalin" paint finishing
PostPosted: Jun Sun 13, 2021 4:54 am 

I recently purchased a bakelite, Truetone radio that has been painted with a green duotone "Catalin" finish. I have seen this exact coloring on some other radios so figure someone out there is doing these as a hobby/money making opportunity.

I actually purchased a second radio of the same model in order to get the red and gold dial plate (the dial plate on the green radio I purchased had faded to almost all gold) BUT, the knobs on the green radio, as far as I can tell, are not what would have been on this model of radio.

So wondering if anyone out there knows who might have painted this radio with the faux Catalin finish so that I could perhaps send them the knobs from my brown "for parts/repair" radio in order to paint them so they can go on the green radio.

Oh, and yes I did purchase this radio for the Tulsa Art Deco Museum to put on display and realize that it is not an authentic finish. Many items we have on display are original, some are "80's deco items (many of those created by top designers/artists are quite desirable and collectible today) and some are like this radio, meant to just be beautiful objects showcasing the Art Deco style and artistry. Really love how these painted, catalin finish radios look and would like to have one or two more on display for people to enjoy so looking forward to keeping my eye out for the next treasure!

Thanks for any help!

Attachments:
Truetone Radio TADM .jpg
Truetone Radio TADM .jpg [ 766.51 KiB | Viewed 253 times ]

Post subject: Re: Help finding someone who does faux "Catalin" paint finis
PostPosted: Jun Mon 14, 2021 2:46 am 

Update, was able to contact the person who did the original painting and will be able to get the knobs painted to match.

Next question is, the dial is warped, it has a metallic sheen as you can see in the image. Saw on one thread how someone placed a radio dial between two tiles with a weight on top, in an oven at 200 for about an hour.

Has anyone tried something like this for a dial like mine?

Or any other suggestions?