Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 26, 2022 4:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stripped paint from Crosley 10-135 Bakelite case
PostPosted: Nov Tue 22, 2022 4:02 am 

I'm restoring a Crosley 10-135 radio for a friend. It's in a Bakelite case that originally was painted "Dulux White." The paint originally was (is) fairly thick, and it has chipped in multiple locations (especially the top of the case). I found an excellent color match, but I cannot simply overspray it because the unevenness at the chip locations would be obvious. I've tried to strip off the old paint using Watco Paint and Poly Stripper, acetone, xylene, lacquer thinner, toluene, MEK, and denatured alcohol; this paint is amazingly tough and none of these solvents touches it. Perhaps methylene chloride might work, but I cannot find it for sale ... and an online search suggests the EPA banned its sale effective July 2022. Does anyone have a suggestion on a stripper that would work in a reasonable length of time (e.g., less than an hour)? Or am I faced with trying to sand it down? Thanks for any ideas.
R/ John

Post subject: Re: Stripped paint from Crosley 10-135 Bakelite case
PostPosted: Nov Tue 22, 2022 5:34 am 
Site Admin

Don't strip it, just sand the chips and feather out the edges. Do a light sanding of the entire cabinet with 220 grit silicone carbide paper. When you can run your fingers lightly over the surface and not feel the chips, you're ready for painting.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 22, 2022 8:11 pm 

If the chips are small (flea bite chips) I spray the paint into a bottle cap and use a art brush to drip it into the chip and in 10-20 minutes wet sand down the new paint bump with 1000-2000 grit....If the color match is good you'll never even know it was chipped.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 23, 2022 12:19 am 

Did you try sanding the old paint, sometimes the stripper needs help to bite into the finish and lift it? You could also try covering the set in plastic or aluminum foil, to stop the solvents from drying out before they have a chance to work. The methylene chloride strippers would have the same problem with baked enamel paint, I used to redo old beater Bakelite radios, and with some I had to scrub with steel wool to get it all off. What you could do is wet sand the old paint, and then use spot putty to fill the chipped areas, sand it smooth, then prime over the old stuff, then paint.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Nov Wed 23, 2022 3:32 am 

I appreciate the suggestions. I will sand it carefully to level things out before repainting.
R/ John

PostPosted: Nov Thu 24, 2022 7:24 pm 

What Arran said, Bondo Glazing Putty.
Something I learned from drywall finishing, sand the lumps, fill the pits.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 25, 2022 8:46 am 

i watched my dad 60 yrs ago strip the door hinges and front door locks and pulls with bo-peep pure ammonia. it took a while but it removed it all down to the bronze. lye easily obtained as liquid plumber will do the same thing as will easy off oven cleaner. BUT ive no idea what either of these chemicals can do to bakelite.its fair to note that if you research "aircraft paint stripper" a lot those products now contain ammonia and even benzene (carcinogen). still aircraft coating seem to be mostly polyurethanes now and thats some rough stuff to remove, so if it were me i would try an aircraft paint remover. technical grade methyl chloride will also do the trick if you can find it and it WONT be at home depot. of course thats the stuff that they banned