Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Fri 23, 2019 2:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: No more grille cloth?
PostPosted: Aug Tue 16, 2011 11:37 pm 

First I'd like to thank John and Mary Okolowicz for the wonderful service they have provided since 1991 supplying cloth and adding new patterns!

It doesn't seem that long ago when we didn't have the luxury of ordering new grille cloth. I vividly remember buying a scrap console hoping I could salvage enough cloth to fit in my Philco 70 cathedral. We used to joke about cutting 12" pieces out of cheap motel curtains and hoped that one of us would stumble upon a stash of new-old-stock grille cloth somewhere. Hopefully some of the cloth we see on eBay from folks like brets-old-radios are coming from a different factory.

I'm hopeful a new supplier will be found, but like Bob (sofaslug) I'm not overly optimistic about it.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 17, 2011 12:57 pm 

Tim Tress wrote:
Radio Daze indicates that they are working on finding a new supplier.

I told ya, there will always be someone else doing this, no need to panic. :)

PostPosted: Aug Wed 17, 2011 5:08 pm 

Just ordered some cloth for my Zenith 9S from Radio Daze. I also asked them to send cloths for any radio i know have that needs it and any radio in the future that need might need grille cloth. So i should be covered. Hey, The lady taking the order thought it was funny
Stan Ski

PostPosted: Aug Wed 17, 2011 6:34 pm 

Stan Ski wrote:
Just ordered some cloth for my Zenith 9S from Radio Daze. I also asked them to send cloths for any radio i know have that needs it and any radio in the future that need might need grille cloth. So i should be covered. Hey, The lady taking the order thought it was funny
Stan Ski

I also ordered some of the Zenith Walton/9-tube console cloth from AES. They're the only place that has any of it, and when their supply is gone I think it's going to be awhile before any more is available. I know of others who are stocking up on grille cloth too.

Bob

PostPosted: Aug Wed 17, 2011 6:36 pm 

hoffies2 wrote:
Tim Tress wrote:

Let's see...Radio Daze has been working on revamping their website for at least a couple of years. With any luck they should be able to find a new grille cloth supplier sometime around the end of the decade.

Bob

PostPosted: Aug Wed 17, 2011 6:48 pm 

Eliot Ness wrote:
First I'd like to thank John and Mary Okolowicz for the wonderful service they have provided since 1991 supplying cloth and adding new patterns!

It doesn't seem that long ago when we didn't have the luxury of ordering new grille cloth. I vividly remember buying a scrap console hoping I could salvage enough cloth to fit in my Philco 70 cathedral. We used to joke about cutting 12" pieces out of cheap motel curtains and hoped that one of us would stumble upon a stash of new-old-stock grille cloth somewhere. Hopefully some of the cloth we see on eBay from folks like brets-old-radios are coming from a different factory.

I'm hopeful a new supplier will be found, but like Bob (sofaslug) I'm not overly optimistic about it.

The stuff from Bret's Old Radios looks like generic cloth, some of which is close to the patterns used on various radios. He probably gets it from a number of sources. There are more than a few grille cloth suppliers on eBay and elsewhere on the internet, but AFAIK only grillecloth.com, Radio Daze, and AES carried the exact duplicate cloth such as the Philco chevron, the Zenith Walton/9-tube swirl, 12-tube large block, 15-tube thin block and numerous others. This could be a gradual return to the bad old days unless someone decides to take on the job of making it available again. What worries me most is that John Okolowicz appears to be bailing out of the business. My guess is that if it were that easy to find another supplier, he'd have done it or perhaps arranged for someone else to take his operation over.

Bob

PostPosted: Aug Wed 17, 2011 7:29 pm 

Tim Tress wrote:

hoffies2 wrote:

I hope you're right hoffies, but my prediction is there will be a lot less patterns to choose from in the future because of this.

As far as someone always doing this, before John and Mary Okolowicz brought out cloths in '91 there really wasn't much of a selection. I have gotten spoiled at being able to select from about four dozen patterns, so I also placed an order with John for various patterns and one with AES for the Zenith Walton style.

I agree with Bob that it won't be easy finding another supplier, that's why John had virtually no competition for his model specific patterns over the years. AES and Radiodaze were just selling cloth that John supplied.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 19, 2011 11:34 am 

Thanks for the lead to Bretts Old Radio. Ordered a coupla pices from him that I think will be useful.

Shame about John not supplying in the future. He's been great over the years with easy shipping across the pond.

Here's a cloth I would have used, on a recent Philips restore, not exact but very nice. But if it was just too expensive.

http://www.bendijkman.nl/index.php?opti ... 53&lang=en

28 Euro is about £28 now with the sad state of the pound. So roughly US$ 45 for a square foot. I appreciate that getting custom cloth made, in small quantity, is going to cost and its nice to support the people who provide it for us. But at that price its hard to shell out... I can just imagine the despair if it didnt go on right!

Gary

PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2011 12:39 am 

Just went to the Radio daze site. To see if there was any cloth still available for this RCA 111K i am starting on. I do not even see anything listed for it. Any one have any ideas? Here is what i could not believe. I looked at the Zenith GRC 21 that i just ordered and it it not available! I just got it and my caps in the mail today. Did i get the last piece? Getting back to the RCA 111K . There is really nothing wrong with the original cloth. It is just dirty. Has any one found a way to clean it without destroying it. It is just stapled on so i am lucky there.
Stan Ski

PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2011 3:48 am 

I recently purchases a '34 RCA 128. The grille cloth was somewhat servicable, but really needed replacement. With all the talk of a shortage in grille cloth, I figured I would have a problem getting some. I contacted John Okolowicz and in a few days the cloth arrived with no problem! Much thanks to John for his usual excellent service.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2011 4:32 am 

The problem is no doubt one of having to make a BIG run of cloth to keep the price reasonable and then you have to have a mess of patterns. I'll bet you CAN have almost any cloth repro'd but you have to buy 1000 sq. yards. John must have had a line on a place that did small batches.

This is sad news :cry: .

John H.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2011 7:27 am 

I have found lots of great-looking, very suitable and beautiful material at local large fabric stores.
Very economical too. Typically no more then $2 or $3 per yard.
Here's an example I used on this Arrow:

Last edited by Pbpix on Aug Thu 25, 2011 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2011 10:48 am 

Very cool set Peter! That dial is amazing! Yes, that cloth looks just fine.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2011 10:48 am 

Double post! :oops:

Last edited by decojoe67 on Aug Thu 25, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2011 12:23 pm 

I do a lot of cabinets....so this is problematic. I sent through a very large order last week and most of what I wanted was still in stock....though I may have cleaned him out of several patterns (sorry..)

Peter

PostPosted: Aug Thu 25, 2011 7:11 pm 

John is now cleaned of Zenith Block pattern #21... Can any one spare a piece for my 9S262?

PostPosted: Aug Fri 26, 2011 1:58 am 

Looks like the Zenith patterns 21 (large block) and 22 (Walton swirl) are history at grillecloth.com, Radiodaze, and AES. I wonder if anyone will step in to meet the demand. I'm not holding my breath...

Any bets as to when either of them will show up on ePay at a huge markup?

Bob

PostPosted: Aug Fri 26, 2011 2:03 am 

yes, and i'm looking for pattern 22 for my Zenith Walton... "Swirl pattern" Please Help!!

PostPosted: Aug Fri 26, 2011 9:03 am 

I did NOT buy any of the Zenith cloth, so don't blame me! ;)

Peter

PostPosted: Aug Fri 26, 2011 4:29 pm 

Hagstar wrote:
John must have had a line on a place that did small batches.

Has anyone thought of <shudder> calling him on the phone and asking some questions? Would take less time than reading all the speculation in this thread.

Phil Nelson

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 98 posts ]  Moderator: Peter Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next