Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 18, 2019 10:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: No more grille cloth?
PostPosted: Aug Fri 26, 2011 7:30 pm 

I asked him on my last order, this week. He did not reply to that question.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 26, 2011 9:47 pm 

EXCUSE us Phil, how dare we speculate. A good friend who sees John frequently has told me the factory he uses closed, and he doesn't have a desire to find another.

John H.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 27, 2011 12:16 am 

OK, I will this ask this question again. Have you guys found any really good way to clean the original cloth? Have had more than one radio where the cloth had no problems other than being really filthy. Never tried to do this as the cloth was always available and cheap.
Stan Ski

PostPosted: Aug Sat 27, 2011 3:54 am 

Stan Ski wrote:
OK, I will this ask this question again. Have you guys found any really good way to clean the original cloth?

I've tried a lot of ways- wet cleaning can result in massive shrinkage. Best results I had involved rinsing the cloth in electric motor cleaner (like a mild brake cleaner) against an absorbent surface.

John H.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 27, 2011 5:24 am 

Hagstar wrote:
the factory he uses closed, and he doesn't have a desire to find another.

In that case, maybe it's a business opportunity for someone who's more motivated to look for another source. I doubt you'll get rich selling grille cloth, but there is an ongoing (if modest) demand, and you could make a lot of fellow collectors happy.

I have only needed to buy a few grille cloths, but when I did, I was delighted to get the real deal rather than settle for some bogus stuff from a fabric store.

Phil Nelson

PostPosted: Aug Sat 27, 2011 6:25 am 

philsoldradios wrote:

I have only needed to buy a few grille cloths, but when I did, I was delighted to get the real deal rather than settle for some bogus stuff from a fabric store.

Phil Nelson

Hi Phil:
So let's see... What are you saying here?
Are you saying that "old" fabric is "real" ... and that new fabric is "bogus"... ??? lol
Fabric is Fabric isn't it?
And a certain weave or pattern is still the same regardless if it was woven 50 years ago or not... right?... lol

... Do you think the sound will be better as it passes through the older threads?
If you do... I've got some gold-plated speaker cables for you to buy that the audio-phools seem to love... I'll even raise the price if it feels better to you.
lol
okay... well a fool and his money are soon parted... right?

Accordingly... In your quest to be "delighted" by using only the original, (old but "real") parts ....you must surely be using only NOS resistors and capacitors in your re-builds too? Right?

And if so Phil, I guess that in order to avoid "bogus" parts... you must be out there every day searching high and low for OLD ( but "real") components that are still within spec right? .... just so you'd be able to say you used those "real" original components only.... instead of those cheesy, new-type "bogus" ones... right?

Ok.. Phil, (all kidding aside)....if you take a good look at the fabric that I used on the Arrow radio images that I posted above, can you tell if it was woven 50 years ago or not? ("real" or "bogus" ???)

If I had said that I bought it as "original" grille cloth from RadioDaze.. would you have been able to tell if it was real or bogus?

PostPosted: Aug Sat 27, 2011 5:09 pm 

Grille cloth from a fabric shop isn't going to do much good if you're restoring a radio that calls for a replica of the original cloth, like a Philco chevron or a 1938 Zenith shutterdial console or Walton tombstone -- though something from a fabric store might look perfectly nice on a small AA5 radio, or any model that doesn't use such a recognizable and well-known pattern.

Bob

PostPosted: Aug Sat 27, 2011 5:34 pm 

Bob I think values of Zenith with the correct cloth might be going up.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 28, 2011 5:22 pm 

sofaslug wrote:
Grille cloth from a fabric shop isn't going to do much good if you're restoring a radio that calls for a replica of the original cloth, like a Philco chevron or a 1938 Zenith shutterdial console or Walton tombstone -- though something from a fabric store might look perfectly nice on a small AA5 radio, or any model that doesn't use such a recognizable and well-known pattern.

Bob

I agree Bob. On a selective group of radios, the grille cloth pattern is an important element of the overall design.
It's been so great all these years not having to be turned off to purchasing a set with poor condition cloth. As original sets approach 80+ years old, the cloths are going to, at least, become fragile and weathered, and replacement cloth is going to be needed even more.
Joe

PostPosted: Aug Sun 28, 2011 8:06 pm 

Still waiting for the first listing on U-Pay. Any body want to speculate on what a foot of "Walton" grill cloth is gonig to go for? I will go - - - $50 No I am not offering to buy or sell it for that.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 28, 2011 11:48 pm 

Come to think of it, maybe there won't be much cloth for sale on ePay. I'm guessing that a lot of that Walton cloth was bought by Zenith restorers, who are likely to be working on a lot of radios in the future. Getting $50 for a piece wouldn't be much compensation relative to the decrease in price of a later Walton restoration because it the correct cloth wasn't available.

Bob

PostPosted: Aug Mon 29, 2011 12:35 am 

I, for one, wouldn't pay a rediculous premium for original pattern grille cloth. I'd just go back to the old way of searching fabric stores and spray tinting it, if necessary!

PostPosted: Aug Mon 29, 2011 1:15 am 

decojoe67 wrote:
I, for one, wouldn't pay a rediculous premium for original pattern grille cloth. I'd just go back to the old way of searching fabric stores and spray tinting it, if necessary!

Sure, I would do the same if it looked good in my radio. But if I saw a $3000 radio on U-Pay with some spandex grill cloth - - :roll:

Last edited by phlogiston on Aug Mon 29, 2011 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 29, 2011 2:58 am 

I think i'd pay $50 for some #22 Pattern Walton Swirl cloth if I could find it... it is the only thing holding up my restoration now... wish I had to know sooner it would be so hard to find... in the meantime I just got this Zenith less then a week ago... Doh!!

PostPosted: Aug Mon 29, 2011 5:01 am 

How many young folks today even know what "the Waltons" means?

well.... What's a phone-booth?

Some youngun recently asked, "What's a floppy drive?"
... next it'll be "What's a CD?".. or "What's a desk-top computer?"

PostPosted: Aug Mon 29, 2011 3:22 pm 

Hi,

I'd like to add my voice of thanks to John for his outstanding service over the years. I too am nervous about what the future will hold.

One thing about the factory discontinuing the lines however (due to going out of business or whatever), is that often when such a thing happens the factory will offer their customers the option of a "lifetime buy". In this case the large number of patterns that would have to be ordered might have rendered this a prohibitive option for a small business.

Actually, I wonder if this was even an option in this case? If so, then some vendors may perhaps have been able to purchase stocks of select cloths. The fact that they all seem to be selling out suggests that this was not an option (unless of course some are waiting prior to doubling the price). Also, I suspect it will not be too long before the more desirable cloths for high end sets (Waltons etc) start showing up on Ebay at exorbitant prices.

Paul http://www.tuberadioland.com

PostPosted: Aug Mon 29, 2011 9:22 pm 

Wouldn't you know it; I just picked up a seven-tube Zenith shutterdial console from 1938! It was free, but I'll probably have to pay through the nose for a piece of grille cloth.....

PostPosted: Aug Mon 29, 2011 10:34 pm 

Let's face it folks; we've been lucky and now our luck has run out.

We simply do not use enough of any one pattern for any manufacturer to get excited.

Sincerely hope that I am totally wrong.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 30, 2011 1:28 am 

Radio Days now has 12 patterns that are discontinued. They have been adding (removing) about 3 or 4 per week.

-13- now

PostPosted: Aug Tue 30, 2011 1:34 am 

maybe this place will make some, need to buy 85 yards. http://www.fabricsbytabrae.com/about.html

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 98 posts ]  Moderator: Peter Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next