Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sat 22, 2022 11:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 7S529 Restoration Done
PostPosted: Dec Sun 23, 2012 3:54 pm 

I got it done just in time for Christmas! I did the electrical and mechanical restoration as well, but this is the cabinet forum, so here are the cabinet pictures:

Before:
Attachment:
Photo Sep 23, 12 44 46 PM.jpg
Photo Sep 23, 12 44 46 PM.jpg [ 143.43 KiB | Viewed 3974 times ]

After:
Attachment:
IMG_4359.jpg
IMG_4359.jpg [ 128.48 KiB | Viewed 3974 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4390.jpg
IMG_4390.jpg [ 125.59 KiB | Viewed 3974 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4399.jpg
IMG_4399.jpg [ 116.12 KiB | Viewed 3974 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4407.jpg
IMG_4407.jpg [ 190.23 KiB | Viewed 3974 times ]

Post subject: Re: Zenith 7S529 Restoration Done
PostPosted: Jan Wed 02, 2013 2:45 am 

my gracious that is impressive...

PostPosted: Jan Wed 02, 2013 8:41 pm 

Thank you, I appreciate your kind words.

In case anyone was wondering: I knew the faux finish was a goner no matter what, and any attempts at masking around it would be an exercise in frustration, so I didn't bother trying. This was the first cabinet I had refinished, so I kind of learned as I went. I went with Citristrip gel to remove the old finish because it seemed less harsh and as it turns out, is much easier to breathe around. I slopped it on with a disposable foam brush. It worked, but just barely. The stripper ate the foam and from now on I will use one of those $1 "chip" brushes from Lowes. After about an hour I scraped it with a plastic putty knife as best I could and then scrubbed it with a "green scrubby" and odorless mineral spirits, followed by disposable lint free shop towels with some more mineral spirits. I let it dry overnight in front of a fan. 24 hours later I lightly sanded with 600 grit and then masked off the red stripes and carefully wiped on some RustOleum "cabernet" wood stain. After a few minutes I wiped off any excess and then a few minutes later removed the tape. Another 24 hours of drying. Next I masked off the feet, top stripe, and the grooves between the red and unstained areas (they just didn't look even). This was quite time consuming and tedious, but worth it. I sprayed it with RustOleum "Universal Satin Espresso Brown", and after a few minutes removed the tape. 48 hours of drying. I then applied 2 coats of Minwax Wipe-on Poly Satin with 4 hours in between each. I like the way it applies, but didn't care for the satin finish, so I applied two more coats of gloss. After another 24 hours of dry time, the last step was to tape off the grill holes and spray them with flat black from the inside.

That's it. I think the only thing I would change would be either a darker brown paint, or maybe black.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 04, 2013 2:24 am 

That is an exquisite piece of art!

PostPosted: Jan Sun 13, 2013 4:57 am 

Very very nice.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 13, 2013 5:22 am 

Very nice job,,you should be proud of this one..Don't you find that the more you do the more
you want to make the next one better?? But you can't improve on this one , good job

PostPosted: Jan Thu 17, 2013 2:44 pm 

Great Job! Personally i think the way you finished it looks better than the phototfinish did anyway. It came out looking simalar to my Crosley 52 TF. Nice!

PostPosted: Jan Thu 17, 2013 3:37 pm 

Hello Guys,
Yes he did amazing job

Last edited by radiorich on Jan Fri 18, 2013 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 17, 2013 5:55 pm 

Very nice work.

I have one of these sets and have contemplated doing the cabinet, but the photo-finish had me a little worried.

Your base wood turned out great without the photo-finish.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 18, 2013 9:16 am 

Here is a photo of the Crosley. It is iteresting the resemblance as far as the cabinet goes.

Attachments:
IMG_2333.JPG
IMG_2333.JPG [ 223.96 KiB | Viewed 3606 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Fri 18, 2013 5:20 pm 

Nice job.

But that backdrop ain't doing you any favors - washing out the real beauty of that wood and your efforts. Try a day-lit pic with some green in the background...

PostPosted: Jan Sat 19, 2013 4:04 am 

Yeah, I need to come up with a better background, but I was pressed for time as I finished it on a Sunday and delivered it as a present on the following Monday.

Mac, It's funny you should mention the Crosley as I own an unrestored one very similar to yours only it has two knobs instead of three, otherwise I think the cabinet is the same.

Paul, I was nervous about the photo finish before I started, but looking back I'm glad I ditched it on this particular cabinet. One thing I wish I would have paid a little better attention to, and you might want to as well if you strip yours, is to try to even out the areas from where the photo strips were and weren't. The oxidation of the wood is different and if you look at the upper right corner and around the right side of my radio you can see a line. It happens to blend in with the grain so it's not that bad, but I still wish I would have done a better job.

Thanks, everyone.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 19, 2013 10:32 pm 

Excellent job on a gorgeous style radio.
Nothing wrong with the wood that lies under the photo finish. I too prefer the looks of it.
How do you get the knobs and push buttons so bright ?
Seems like the factory put a lacquer finish on them and when it wears off the white or ivory plastic underneath becomes un-cleanable. At least I have trouble getting them un-stained. I'm still in the learning mode.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 20, 2013 12:09 am 

Nothing special, I just soaked them in some warm soapy water for a few hours and then used a fingernail type brush on them. I was never able to get the pushbuttons off of the auto tuning assembly, so I had to do them in place and I used an old, dull green scrub pad to get in between the buttons. I thought a new one would scratch them.