Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 18, 2021 2:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco 38-690 back panel
PostPosted: May Sat 25, 2013 12:04 am 

I have a real nice original Philco 38-690 that I've been working on in my spare time. I finished the electronics in the power supply section and will be starting the upper chassis soon. The cabinet is original and in beautiful condition so I've decided to just clean it up. The exterior of the chassis will be restored. The radio plays but I'm waiting for a complete rebuild before using it. A good friend provided enough of the "impossible to find" grill cloth so that problem was solved.

The last problem was the most difficult. The back panel was incomplete and broken into several pieces. After getting the measurements I needed from Bob (sofaslug), I made up a 2D model and had a couple panels laser cut out of tempered 1/8" masonite. I'm going to prime the panel and use a medium body stain to get a background to match the original I have. There are many people that do silkscreening in the area and can copy the original artwork I have for the yellow logo. I'll update this post as things move along.

Attachments:
38-690 back2.jpg
38-690 back2.jpg [ 57.93 KiB | Viewed 4222 times ]

Post subject: Re: Philco 38-690 back panel
PostPosted: May Tue 28, 2013 8:04 pm 

After making test panels I used a medium bodied stain that was tinted to match the rear of my original back panel. I found that a light sanding, followed by
a coat of stain applied with an air gun made a good match that is fairly scratch and scuff resistant.....which is the reason for not using paint. It is also difficult
to silkscreen over paint. One of the finished stained panels is on the left. I'm making a few extras with lighter shades so I'll have slightly different background
shades to compare when finished. When all are stained I'll take the panels to get them professionally silkscreened using the artwork from my original back.

Attachments:
38-690 panel stained.jpg
38-690 panel stained.jpg [ 87.16 KiB | Viewed 4172 times ]

PostPosted: May Wed 29, 2013 2:20 am 

Looks very good. I'll be watching this post for your completed project.
Will you be making these for others that want/need one?

PostPosted: May Wed 29, 2013 4:02 am 

Thanks Mike. While not my original intention, I would like to help out others complete their 38-690.
I will have one or two set aside for you as I know you wanted one but I am making them in a very limited
quantity.
The artwork on the original is applied permanant ink, and not paint as one may think. I brought my artwork to an expert
with over 45 years in the silkscreen business and he even knew the type of ink used :shock: It is one that he doesn't
stock and would have to be ordered. I'm going to have one made in ink, and another "baked on" in paint and see which
matches the original.

PostPosted: May Wed 29, 2013 5:07 am 

I would like one too if you make a few. Depending on price, of course.
Ed

PostPosted: May Wed 29, 2013 2:00 pm 

Count me in as very interested. I would be thrilled just to have the measurements and plot of all the cut-outs. I would imagine reproducing the artwork in silk screen would be a difficult process. Thanks for posting this thread. I am just now starting the cabinet restoration on my '690.

PostPosted: May Wed 29, 2013 5:27 pm 

I will have enough to get you both one and will keep the price as low as possible. I'll get them finished up
and will post photos. Yesterday afternoon I went out to storage to have a look at the back of a real nice
37-116 I have. I found that it's panel is darker than the damaged back that was on on my 38-690, which has
quite abit of fading. I'm guessing they were originally abit darker so I may be adjusting the background stain to
match. The artwork is not difficult as I have the original back from my 38-690 and the artwork is perfectly intact.
I'm not sure if they will improve the sound of the radio but it is sure nice to have a correct looking back on it.

PostPosted: May Wed 29, 2013 9:01 pm 

I tried another color that was matched to the nice 37-116 back. The left panel is the latest match, the middle was the match to my 38-690 back and the
right is without any color. The left panel color is probably closer to what they were when new and looks great. If I go with it the yellow artwork should
really stand out :D

Attachments:
38-690 backs 3.jpg
38-690 backs 3.jpg [ 85.3 KiB | Viewed 4114 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2013 11:18 am 

Will your radio back panel fit my 38-116? If it would I would love to purchse one from you. They look like the came out great! :D

PostPosted: Jun Sun 09, 2013 11:50 am 

Let me know if you are going to make these. If so, I will back off on making mine. We don't need two people making the same back. I think the masonite looks better left natural. My opinion.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 10, 2013 7:58 pm 

Hi John. I'll have to check but I don't think the 38-116 and this are the same size. I did notice that the pattern was different.

Eddie...no I'm only doing the one small run as I wanted one for myself and backs for a couple of friends. I will sell what is left over as I won't be needing any extras.
I have excess to a very high tech laser cutter with a massive table size which makes the job so much easier. It was able to cut 10 panels without changing material.

Still waiting on the ink for the logo.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2013 1:34 pm 

shutterdialradio wrote:
Hi John. I'll have to check but I don't think the 38-116 and this are the same size. I did notice that the pattern was different.

Eddie...no I'm only doing the one small run as I wanted one for myself and backs for a couple of friends. I will sell what is left over as I won't be needing any extras.
I have excess to a very high tech laser cutter with a massive table size which makes the job so much easier. It was able to cut 10 panels without changing material.

Still waiting on the ink for the logo.

I'm probably not gonna fool with it anymore. Going thru all the stuff to make my back was fun and rewarding. I enjoyed doing it. Making reproductions gets to be more of a job. The way I was doing them is labor intensive. Makes a very nice back, but they are hand made. To make it where I could produce all the different backs for all the Philco consoles would require a lot of time to get everything set up, to make a nice jig, etc.. More of my time. I already have too much time invested in this. If I started making them and built up a little inventory, possibly you or someone else could decide to start making them with a laser at any time, undercut my price and I would have all this time (and money) in it and no way to get any compensation for it. Not happening. I tried to find someone with a laser or CNC mill to do a run and nobody was remotely interested in a run of 10 or 20 of a particular pattern. Maybe things are different there or you have a buddy that can do it. I also noticed that some of the same people that had commited to buy one from me, are now saying they want one from you too. Like I said earlier, there is not enough volume for two people making the backs and I can't compete with a laser, so I am bowing out. If anyone wants to do the back themselves I have all the dimensions on a blueprint. Also have them in a file that can easily be converted to machine code. If you have a buddy that has a large laser or a CNC mill, maybe you can get him to do a buddy run for you. Just let me know if you want it.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2013 11:30 pm 

Hey Guys,
I sure would like to purchase one for my 38-690 when they become available :D

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2013 1:38 am 

Eddie.....All of us want you to reproduce radio backs for our consoles like my 38-116 console. Do not think for a minute that I would not buy one from you...I am sorry from all of us in on this forum and this hobby if someone has hurt your feelings in any way that has changed your mind in making these radio backs. Please reconcider, I know a lot of work goes into putting out a quality product. Please think about it... :P

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2013 2:51 am 

PhilcoJohn wrote:
Eddie.....All of us want you to reproduce radio backs for our consoles like my 38-116 console. Do not think for a minute that I would not buy one from you...I am sorry from all of us in on this forum and this hobby if someone has hurt your feelings in any way that has changed your mind in making these radio backs. Please reconcider, I know a lot of work goes into putting out a quality product. Please think about it... :P

Feelings not hurt at all. Just an eye opener. The person that can make them cheapest should make them. Mine would not be that. I was going to do it because nobody else had done it and there was a need for it. Nobody had took the time to put it all together. Believe me.... I would have paid someone to make one for me had anyone been doing it or if i knew someone was getting ready to make them. I motivated people to get it done. That's a good thing.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2013 2:53 am 

eddie brimer wrote:
PhilcoJohn wrote:

Feelings not hurt at all. Just an eye opener. The person that can make them cheapest should make them. Mine would not be that. I was going to do it because nobody else had done it and there was a need for it. Nobody had took the time to put it all together. Believe me.... I would have paid someone to make one for me had anyone been doing it or if i knew someone was getting ready to make them. I motivated people to get it done. That's a good thing.

Ps. Talk to a company near you that has a laser. I'll send you the program. Never know you might get lucky.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 15, 2021 4:29 pm 

Hi
I know this is an old thread, but I just picked up a 38-690 and it also needs the back panel. Did you make spares? If not, could I get the info from you to have it laser cut?
Thx

Bruce