Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Wed 20, 2021 2:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Trouble painting a plastic radio shell...
PostPosted: Jan Wed 16, 2019 3:26 pm 

Hi all,

I've run into a problem with painting a plastic shell.

The shell had originally been painted but was trashed. I sanded to get a flat surface, some areas were sanded through the old paint, others not.

I put the first coats on it last week (8 days ago), about 3 coats spaced 15-30 minutes apart. (label calls for additional coats within 2 hours or after 48 hours)

I had hoped the paint would work well since it claims to be "Paint + Primer". As it cured, however, the sanded areas drank up the paint leaving a coarse finish.

I said, no problem, let it fully cure then add a few more coats. NOT SO. I started with additional coats today and found the new coats also soaking into the sanded areas. To add insult to injury now the paint has wrinkle finish over the sanded areas. :evil: Seems like the new coats melted the initial coats.

I'd like to get out of this mess be doing some cleanup sanding (after full cure), use a primer coat, then recoat with the Krylon paint. I want to salvage this project rather than a complete rework.

I've used Krylon quite a bit on plastic over the years with good success. This 'COLORMAXX' formulation appears to be something new - great disappointment. At first it appeared good, very nice coverage and flow out. Claims to be good for "wood, metals, and most plastics..."

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, Tim

Attachments:
Krylon.jpg
Krylon.jpg [ 88.3 KiB | Viewed 735 times ]

Post subject: Re: Trouble painting a plastic radio shell...
PostPosted: Jan Wed 16, 2019 5:14 pm 

Tim – I am by far anything but an expert, so I can only tell you what worked for me when I use to repaint bakelite radios. Several decades ago, I dealt with an antique store that wanted RED painted bakelite radios, all that I could supply. I would strip painted radios (mostly white) and lightly sand them. Cleaning them with lacquer thinner. Any “rough” spots would be filled with an automotive filler, such as Bondo, sanded smooth and cleaned again. I then primed them with an automotive lacquer (gray), several coats, smoothed out with 0000 steel wool and dusted stray steel fibers off. I then applied an enamel (red) Krylon spray paint, heavy coats, moving the radio around to avoid runs. After 10-20 minutes, I’d spray the Krylon on again heavily, again rolling the cabinet around to avoid runs and suspend the cabinet from the inside and let it dry a day or two. This method worked well for me and I sold more red radios than I care to admit. Along the way, I learned an important lesson: You can apply enamel over lacquer, but you can’t apply lacquer over enamel… It’ll wrinkle and distort! Hope this is of help to you. Good luck!!

K4DLM

PostPosted: Jan Thu 17, 2019 1:44 am 

Thanks for the input Dnitram,

I guess the bottom line is that I thought this paint would work without a primer. A convenient shortcut :roll:

Lesson learned. In the future I'll use an auto primer prior to any plastic painting.

For salvaging this snafu, I have some clear Valspar plastic primer. I'll lightly sand and see if a sealer coat of this stuff will work. If not, sand down and start over.

Thanks, Tim

PostPosted: Jan Thu 17, 2019 3:21 am 

Next time, try Krylon Fusion for plastics - it works well. I've used about 30 cans of the stuff painting various items. It too has the primer, but is specifically designed for plastics......

PostPosted: Jan Fri 18, 2019 8:13 pm 

Krylon Fusion is great--lays like a sheet of glass, but....be careful. It's thinner than regular spray paint--probably because it has extra ingredients that "bite down" into the plastic, similar to acid etch primer on metal. So spray it lighter than you normally would, and you'll have a run-free finish.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 19, 2019 2:38 am 
Site Admin

This is how I paint plastic radios: http://antiqueradios.com/features/paint.html