Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 16, 2019 10:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Silvertone 4565 Cabinent Refinish
PostPosted: Apr Mon 08, 2019 4:00 am 

I wanted share my recent work on a Silvertone 4565 radio I picked up. The finish was in general worn, while the cabinet was scratched and dented but no missing or loose veneer. I used the orange based stripper to start and then finished cleaning it up with lacquer thinner. I was able to get the big dents out of the solid side wood corners with just wetting the dents, there was a dent/scratch in the plywood along the back side that only partially came out but it was enough for me.

For this cabinet I first put down a coat of lacquer sanding sealer, then tinted pore filler, sanding and then toning lacquer. I taped off the various parts, medium brown on all but the inlay and trim and then dark walnut for the bottom and top edging trim, all the lacquer was Mohawk brand. 4 coats of lacquer and then final sanding with 800 grit and then brown paper from a brown paper bag for the final rub down. I finished with a light coat of furniture wax. The camera lighting gives an uneven appearance in the toner but in person the cabinet has a nice rich color and grain with just enough shine to look good and not out of place for what is is.

I would say that I probably went a bit darker both on the main cabinet & trim vs what was original. Note an interesting bit on the construction, the top panel is all one piece of plywood, the quarter round (dark) trim is not trim but just rounded over plywood. I would speculate that the toner was all one color too, this would save having to mask off and take two passes, that said it does look like they were able to darken the quarter round a bit more, likely to hide seeing the layers of plywood. I also am not sure that they masked off the front inlay, I did mask it off and there is a larger contrast.

My only question for the group is are there any leads or suggestions for new grill cloth? The last picture is from the grill cloth which I believe was the original.

Feel free to comment or ask questions.

Post subject: Re: Silvertone 4565 Cabinent Refinish
PostPosted: Apr Thu 11, 2019 10:15 pm 

I also need to be thinking about grille cloth for my 4586 which uses the same cloth so I'm curious what you do here.

Post subject: Re: Silvertone 4565 Cabinent Refinish
PostPosted: Jul Sun 28, 2019 11:42 pm 

I finished the radio this weekend and want to update the group on the grill cloth I used. There seems to be a lot less choices out there than from what I remember say maybe 10 years ago. Anyway I went with the common Zenith swirl Walton pattern but turned it on edge. I thought it brings the dial and cabinet together. Also in a moment of not thinking I ran a too long of a staple through to the front when I was installing the grill cloth/cardboard backer, I repaired it as best I could but I sure was grumpy. There has been a bit of a time delay from finishing the cabinet to now getting the chassis repaired which is good as it has given me some time to not want to swear every time I see the radio.