Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sun 21, 2019 1:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Crosley console custom refinish
PostPosted: May Sun 12, 2019 12:57 am 

Total makeover refinish in custom toning colors as customer wanted something different from the bland factory colors, before and after pictures, eleltical was preformed by one of my friends and radio plays well now. Cabinet was in bad shape with peeling veneer, grill cloth was a heavy antique couch type cloth which I hated to get rid of I should have saved it, ha ha. New veneer was installed on both sides and veneer chips were fixed. All in all the old Crosley doesn't look to bad, maybe it will live another 50 years or so.

Attachments:
freds new shop 247.jpg
freds new shop 247.jpg [ 180.85 KiB | Viewed 398 times ]
freds new shop 249.jpg
freds new shop 249.jpg [ 131.26 KiB | Viewed 398 times ]
freds new shop 274.jpg
freds new shop 274.jpg [ 146.2 KiB | Viewed 398 times ]
freds new shop 248.jpg
freds new shop 248.jpg [ 158.44 KiB | Viewed 398 times ]
freds new home shop 294.jpg
freds new home shop 294.jpg [ 189.6 KiB | Viewed 398 times ]
freds new home shop 290.jpg
freds new home shop 290.jpg [ 163.88 KiB | Viewed 398 times ]
freds new home shop 289.jpg
freds new home shop 289.jpg [ 164 KiB | Viewed 398 times ]
freds new home shop 292.jpg
freds new home shop 292.jpg [ 157.98 KiB | Viewed 398 times ]

Post subject: Re: Crosley console custom refinish
PostPosted: May Sun 12, 2019 1:35 am 

Excellent!

PostPosted: May Sun 12, 2019 11:53 am 

I really like that grill cloth pattern and looks great on that radio. Who is selling that?

PostPosted: May Sun 12, 2019 12:30 pm 

ErikD wrote:
I really like that grill cloth pattern and looks great on that radio. Who is selling that?

That cloth I found at a fabric store a few years back, not made for grill cloth but it works in a pinch.

PostPosted: May Sun 12, 2019 5:04 pm 

Fred, :shock: Looks fantastic.... as usual! You post these radio cabinet restorations on here one after the other and they all look fantastic! You seem to be nonchalant about these restorations while I'm still trying to get the hang of it after a few years now. I hope you don't mind getting bombarded with questions after your postings. I think it's safe to say that we all wish are restorations could come out as good! Did you piece that veneer on the bottom right? Did you use the timbermate filler, Did you sand afterwards with 220, 320, 400? Did you use Mohawk wipe on stain? What color stain? Then use one or two coats of Mohawk spray on sanding sealer, Then use Mohawk spray on lacquer toners on the trim / moldings? Then lacquer the whole thing with how many coats? Thanks Fred, I'm a little jealous! :lol:

PostPosted: May Thu 23, 2019 4:54 am 

hello Fred,
another great looking set and the cloth looks nice too
sincerely Rich

PostPosted: May Thu 23, 2019 1:20 pm 

ychris wrote:
Fred, :shock: Looks fantastic.... as usual! You post these radio cabinet restorations on here one after the other and they all look fantastic! You seem to be nonchalant about these restorations while I'm still trying to get the hang of it after a few years now. I hope you don't mind getting bombarded with questions after your postings. I think it's safe to say that we all wish are restorations could come out as good! Did you piece that veneer on the bottom right? Did you use the timbermate filler, Did you sand afterwards with 220, 320, 400? Did you use Mohawk wipe on stain? What color stain? Then use one or two coats of Mohawk spray on sanding sealer, Then use Mohawk spray on lacquer toners on the trim / moldings? Then lacquer the whole thing with how many coats? Thanks Fred, I'm a little jealous! :lol:

# 1, New veneer both sides #2. Timbermate yes . #3.Sand grain filler with 240 #4 .yes mohawk wiping stain # medium dark walnut stain # 6. I spray on 3 coats Mohawk EZ vinyl sealer #7, Toners are sprayed on after stain has dryed, and you can spray toner after sealer also. #8, I generally use 3= 4 coats of clear over the sealer.