Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Sun 21, 2019 1:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Color organ plastic and grill + radio identification
PostPosted: May Sun 19, 2019 1:24 am 

Hello awesome forum friends,

I was recently given this very cool antique radio.

I'd love to #1. Repair it and #2. Identify the name or brand of this radio with the help of some of you experts around here. I really don't know much about radios, let alone this type of antique!

Firstly, I would really love to know where I can find the (custom sized) plastic piece that gives the color organ effect as seen in the attached photo. Right where you see the crack, there is a blue bulb missing as well (which I actually also don't know where to find considering it's so old!). Does anyone know where I can find the plastic piece to replace, or what this kind of plastic/texture is even called for when I go looking in stores or online? The local electronic store had absolutely no idea what I was showing them, lol.

Secondly, there's also the black grill that goes on top of the plastic. It's not like a speaker cover, it's more of a metal grill that simply slips in right on top of the plastic to cover it and still have the color organ effect. Would anyone know where this can be purchased at a custom size?

Lastly, if anyone could help identify what brand, make, or model this radio is, that would be very cool! In the attached photos there might be a hint...

Well, I really hope someone can help because I so badly want to restore this beauty!

Thank you kindly, antique radio enthusiasts!

Attachments:
File comment: Color organ effect
color organ.jpg
color organ.jpg [ 137.37 KiB | Viewed 596 times ]
File comment: The damage to the black "grill"/"net"...note this is not like the soft net that you see covering speakers. This is a metal grill used to cover the plastic so we can still see the color organ effect.
radio damage.jpg
radio damage.jpg [ 81.17 KiB | Viewed 596 times ]
File comment: What is this plastic called? Where can I buy a custom sized piece of this texture?
plastic.jpg
plastic.jpg [ 216.35 KiB | Viewed 596 times ]
radio.jpg
radio.jpg [ 81.88 KiB | Viewed 596 times ]
musiccenter.jpg
musiccenter.jpg [ 97.34 KiB | Viewed 596 times ]
electrophonic.jpg
electrophonic.jpg [ 89.9 KiB | Viewed 596 times ]
cassette.jpg
cassette.jpg [ 80.03 KiB | Viewed 596 times ]
back tag.jpg
back tag.jpg [ 108.98 KiB | Viewed 596 times ]

Post subject: Re: Color organ plastic and grill + radio identification
PostPosted: May Mon 20, 2019 2:13 pm 

That plastic piece is merely a diffuser used under 4' florescent lights on suspended ceilings. You can get a 2' x 4' piece at most home stores.
Dan

PostPosted: May Wed 22, 2019 12:11 am 

Thank you for that tip!

Now to find the black grill...

PostPosted: May Thu 23, 2019 2:53 am 

It says it is a Stereophonic Music Center, Model AWLC 40452 C197SP, built by Morse Electrophonic.

Google 'Morse Electrophonic', lots of hits. 8)

PostPosted: May Thu 23, 2019 2:13 pm 

Yeah thanks! I had found pictures of it on Google just not the exact model number. Actually when I enter that model number into the search, it does not give me any results. Where did you get that model no.?

Finding the metal grill is the easy part, finding the exact mould is what’s likely impossible. It looks like I’ll have to replace it with a flat sheet which will kind of kill the look, but it’s better than nothing I suppose.

PostPosted: May Thu 23, 2019 8:42 pm 

mike1987 wrote:
Yeah thanks! I had found pictures of it on Google just not the exact model number. Actually when I enter that model number into the search, it does not give me any results. Where did you get that model no.?

Finding the metal grill is the easy part, finding the exact mould is what’s likely impossible. It looks like I’ll have to replace it with a flat sheet which will kind of kill the look, but it’s better than nothing I suppose.
Who will tell you it's the wrong grill? :lol:
You posted a pic of the label with model #, but that factory is long gone and the perpatrators moved on. :lol:
Somebody here might have technical info, but that could be buried in stacks of moldy paper manuals.

Fix it up and enjoy it!

PostPosted: May Thu 23, 2019 10:13 pm 

Record Changer is a BSR C197....Sams MHF series covered one of the Morse consoles...I'll have a look.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 2:15 am 

Did you find replacement plastic for your radio? If so, where did you find? Thanks. It’s an awesome piece

PostPosted: Jun Thu 06, 2019 3:49 pm 

I found the plastic at Home Depot however it is “prismatic” pattern therefore the light effect is different - instead of diamond shapes the light reflects as circles. You need the straight grid pattern for it to give diamond like effect (see images) however I could not find it in any store of food or on line. If you have a Lowe’s near you, I think they have the right kind of pattern (I saw it online but could not order it to my location).

I’m having a hard time finding the black “fake” speaker grill though.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 06, 2019 4:32 pm 

westcoastjohn wrote:
mike1987 wrote:

Who will tell you it's the wrong grill? :lol:
You posted a pic of the label with model #, but that factory is long gone and the perpatrators moved on. :lol:
Somebody here might have technical info, but that could be buried in stacks of moldy paper manuals.

Fix it up and enjoy it!

Would you have an idea where I can find this sort of grill? I think it’s a thin plastic (as opposed to metal) which allows
Us to see right through for the light effect. I’m actually having a really hard time finding something like this! It’s 39” by 17”.

Thanks in advance my friend

PostPosted: Jun Mon 10, 2019 2:56 pm 

Mike-I found a place that sells the plastic diffuser:

http://www.eviva.com.tw/microprisms/

Good luck!!

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 3:45 pm 

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Did you order from that site? It looks like it’s only B2B in mass quantity if I’m not mistaken...