Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 23, 2019 10:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Chassis coating question on Loewe Opta sets
PostPosted: Jun Mon 10, 2019 7:23 am 

Hi all,

I appreciate this isn't strictly (or at all!) about the cabinet but sure some of you here will know (and I will be restoring the cabinet itself at some point soon).

I'm restoring a Loewe Opta Meteor 781W. I have two of them (one for spares, one to be rebuilt).

Both chassis have the same dullish yellow/gold colour.

Is this the original coating put on in the 50s? And if so, does anyone know what it is?

I noticed on the first radio how it came off when I tried to clean some rust. But on the second radio, which was in much better condition - no rust and a very consistent colour all over the chassis, I accidentally split both contact cleaner AND alcohol on and it rubbed off down to bare metal very easily.

On a Facebook group, people are saying the 'coating' is only nicotone. But it's the same even under washers and screw - and is so consistent on every part of the chassis (but nothing at all on other metal parts like the switch arms for the piano keys) - so I find that hard to believe.

I know there are 1) very experienced people here and 2) even people who worked on these when they were first made! - so can someone give me a definitive answer please.

Either way, now I've wiped so much off, I'm going to have to continue and do the whole chassis (or, just leave it as is but ...). Shame as I preferred the look - but ultimately it's not going to be seen by anyone other than me or someone else repairing in the future so ...

Thanks
John

Post subject: Re: Chassis coating question on Loewe Opta sets
PostPosted: Jun Mon 10, 2019 3:21 pm 

I have believed this yellow "finish" to be zinc chromate in a lacquer binder or some other paint-like vehicle.

My past employment I encountered this coating on device chassis. If the coating got scratched touch-up from a small bottle of the material was used. Oder was like that of nail polish.

I have also understood the chassis to be chemically finished in a bath for this coating like an anodizing and the touch-up was just that.

European chassis coatings, if the coating was removable with solvent then it is not the bath process but simply a yellow toned lacquer.

Transparent colored lacquers are available. FWIR there is a "bulb" tinting lacquer (Krylon) that would do if one desired to repair the chassis finish.

The chassis may be cadmium plated and the coating is a sealant to keep the cadmium from eroding in dampness.

Chas

Post subject: Re: Chassis coating question on Loewe Opta sets
PostPosted: Jun Mon 10, 2019 4:30 pm 

Chas wrote:
I have believed this yellow "finish" to be zinc chromate in a lacquer binder or some other paint-like vehicle.

My past employment I encountered this coating on device chassis. If the coating got scratched touch-up from a small bottle of the material was used. Oder was like that of nail polish.

I have also understood the chassis to be chemically finished in a bath for this coating like an anodizing and the touch-up was just that.

European chassis coatings, if the coating was removable with solvent then it is not the bath process but simply a yellow toned lacquer.

Transparent colored lacquers are available. FWIR there is a "bulb" tinting lacquer (Krylon) that would do if one desired to repair the chassis finish.

The chassis may be cadmium plated and the coating is a sealant to keep the cadmium from eroding in dampness.

Chas

Thanks Chas. Someone else on the FB group has now also confirmed it is a coating although no one is 100% sure what yet. But at least I know I'm not going mad and it isn't nicotine!