Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 07, 2019 12:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Refaux Pro video, if this works...
PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 1:06 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwsEq7PW1_4

Cool! Only bad part is what is the cost and the finish process/trimming, etc.

Dan

Post subject: Re: Refaux Pro video, if this works...
PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 5:56 pm 

I never tried to use that product but I heard that it,s difficult to apply unless you have done a number of them once its done correctly it looks very good. Your going to have to spray clear over it to protect it I guess. For me I think I would use real wood veneer and do it better than factory but that also isn't the easiest ether. Good luck.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 7:33 pm 

The biggest problem is that they are no longer in business. Can't get them anymore.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 2:21 am 

I redid a Philco 37-60, it came out pretty well, but was an absolute pain to put on. It came in two sheets and had to be applied right next to each other. (I guess their printer only could print so wide) Once I had finished the cabinet, I ended up soaking the decal in water and then misting the cabinet. From there I could slide the sheets onto the cabinet surface. It works well when it's wet, though once it's on for a few minutes it becomes more difficult to move. (Constant application of water needed.) It wanted to sag into the holes in the grill, so that had to be pulled taught. The biggest issue by far was the fact that there was no overlap in either piece. It was like trying to get two wet noodles to line up perfectly straight. If you got the seams to match up, the rest of the piece wasn't, and then when you moved that piece, there go the seams. It took about an hour to get them perfectly lined up , laying perfectly flat. Then after it dried, the holes had to be cut, and the pieces of the decal tucked into the grill holes. It was a nightmare to get them to lay flat so you couldn't see the tucked flaps. It required cutting of tens of little slits for each hole to stop the flaps from wrinkling on the curved edges. All in all, a giant pain to put on, and took just as much time if not more to cut the holes. It ripped twice while putting it on, and definitely needs a protective overcoat. It might be easier on some of the smaller radios, but on this one... NEVER AGAIN

Maybe with more experience it becomes easier, but honestly it seemed like a good bit of luck getting them to line up