Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Dec Sat 07, 2019 12:04 pm


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Refaux Pro video, if this works...
PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 1:06 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 2161
Location: Sandusky, OH usa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwsEq7PW1_4

Cool! Only bad part is what is the cost and the finish process/trimming, etc.

_________________
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on succin' til you do succeed" - Curly

Dan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Refaux Pro video, if this works...
PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 5:56 pm 
Member

Joined: May Fri 10, 2013 4:09 am
Posts: 1818
Location: Dallas Tx
I never tried to use that product but I heard that it,s difficult to apply unless you have done a number of them once its done correctly it looks very good. Your going to have to spray clear over it to protect it I guess. For me I think I would use real wood veneer and do it better than factory but that also isn't the easiest ether. Good luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Refaux Pro video, if this works...
PostPosted: Jun Tue 18, 2019 7:33 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr Tue 24, 2018 6:12 pm
Posts: 42
Location: Charleston, SC 29410
The biggest problem is that they are no longer in business. Can't get them anymore.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Refaux Pro video, if this works...
PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 2:21 am 
Member

Joined: Jun Wed 28, 2017 5:32 pm
Posts: 86
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
I redid a Philco 37-60, it came out pretty well, but was an absolute pain to put on. It came in two sheets and had to be applied right next to each other. (I guess their printer only could print so wide) Once I had finished the cabinet, I ended up soaking the decal in water and then misting the cabinet. From there I could slide the sheets onto the cabinet surface. It works well when it's wet, though once it's on for a few minutes it becomes more difficult to move. (Constant application of water needed.) It wanted to sag into the holes in the grill, so that had to be pulled taught. The biggest issue by far was the fact that there was no overlap in either piece. It was like trying to get two wet noodles to line up perfectly straight. If you got the seams to match up, the rest of the piece wasn't, and then when you moved that piece, there go the seams. It took about an hour to get them perfectly lined up , laying perfectly flat. Then after it dried, the holes had to be cut, and the pieces of the decal tucked into the grill holes. It was a nightmare to get them to lay flat so you couldn't see the tucked flaps. It required cutting of tens of little slits for each hole to stop the flaps from wrinkling on the curved edges. All in all, a giant pain to put on, and took just as much time if not more to cut the holes. It ripped twice while putting it on, and definitely needs a protective overcoat. It might be easier on some of the smaller radios, but on this one... NEVER AGAIN

Maybe with more experience it becomes easier, but honestly it seemed like a good bit of luck getting them to line up


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 4 posts ]  Moderator: Peter

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest



Search for:
Jump to:  




























Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB