Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 13, 2020 7:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: To Lacquer or not to lacquer?
PostPosted: Sep Mon 30, 2019 11:20 pm 

Hello everyone,

I recently finished toning a Philco 84 cabinet, and am pretty satisfied with the results. My question is this: The toner on the cabinet has cured, so do I still need to apply clear lacquer to it? I used Behlen jet spray extra dark walnut toner lacquer on the cabinet. I understand that the clear lacquer would add a sheen to the finish, but would adding it also protect the toner finish, or should I just leave the cabinet where it is currently at? Thanks in advance!

Best,
Sam

-Unknown

Post subject: Re: To Lacquer or not to lacquer?
PostPosted: Oct Tue 01, 2019 9:31 am 

Always understood that you should lacquer over toner. It is said to be softer.

If you have a few coats of lacquer, over toner, that might get scratched but not show. If the toner, on its own gets scratched it will go back to bare wood and show badly.

Gary

PostPosted: Oct Wed 02, 2019 12:24 am 

Thanks, Gary. I figured lacquer might have more of a protective effect on the toner finish. The main reason I don't want to lacquer the cabinet is because the finish with just toners looks great to me, and I don't really want to add much more shine to it. Also, isn't the toner I used basically pigmented lacquer?

Attachments:
File comment: Philco 84 Cabinet. Yes, I am going to change the grille cloth.
rsz_1001191920.jpg
rsz_1001191920.jpg [ 69.87 KiB | Viewed 1000 times ]

-Unknown

PostPosted: Oct Wed 02, 2019 8:23 am 

Yes! it is pigmented lacquer so the being softer might not really matter. But if you scratch it …

I would lacquer myself with say a satin finish or semi gloss as Mohawk calls it. To me the extra finish gives more depth somehow. You can always change the finish after a couple of weeks. To dull the shine 0000# wire wool covered in beeswax works well, with the grain of course. To increase shine then rubbing down polish used for cars will do that. Or if you have it pumice followed by rottenstone.

If you are happy with it as is then just leave it: there are no hard and fast rules. It would actually be more original as I reckon the makers just hit the cabinets with a few coats of toned lacquer. Time and money wouldn't allow doing something else after for them.

Gary

PostPosted: Oct Wed 02, 2019 9:39 am 
Site Admin

Satin finishes have flattening agents added to them, so it's harder to make them glossier than it is to start with a glossy finish and make it less shiny.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 02, 2019 8:29 pm 

Thanks for the info, guys! I mainly just liked how nice the cabinet looked, and really wanted to reassemble the radio. I may have to take the entire radio apart when I change the grille cloth, so I mal lacquer it then. If not, I'll just leave it as it is.

-Unknown