Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 18, 2019 8:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Rust-Oleum paint biting
PostPosted: Aug Fri 02, 2019 9:50 pm 

Man, this spray paint is killing me. The 'biting' (wrinkles) from not waiting forever to dry is crazy, 60 hours later, and still the biting happened.
This after learning the hard way to wait 48 hrs previously, on the same chassis :), stripped and sanded, primed, did one coat, waited 60 hrs for 2nd
coat, and still.

Is there a better product that doesn't take half a month to do 2 coats and a clear coat? On a metal chassis.

Post subject: Re: Rust-Oleum paint biting
PostPosted: Aug Fri 02, 2019 10:41 pm 

Any temperature or humidity changes while painting? My niece uses about 60 rattle cans a month of rustoleum paint. Her biggest problems stem from the paint and item being different temps. Right now, she has about a dozen cans sitting under an ornamental cherry tree in her yard, as she paints in the evening and wants everything the same temp. She has to wait several hours to bring stuff in - a pain with our almost nightly thunderstorms. Second coat, drag it all back out for acclimation, then paint.

She painted mt URM-25 case with Rustoleum rattle cans, and it looks like a factory finish. She does the wrinkle finish too - but she uses regular rattle paint, and compressed (cold) air to blast the backside of the metal, making some sharp wrinkles. She also bakes out some items in an old toaster oven.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 02, 2019 10:57 pm 

well in Ohio, hard to get the same climate from day to day. I need to do 2nd coat quickly , within 20-30 minutes I think and not have to go beyond a 48+ wait. I normally have decent luck with Rust-Oleum until this Kona Brown I'm trying to do the Bell 2122 with.
thanks

PostPosted: Aug Sun 04, 2019 4:12 am 

went to Advance Auto, they bought CarQuest which was recommended for paint mixing and good paint.
Not all have that capability, this one did not, but a really good selection, pricey though, most cans were $10 range, Dupli-color brand.
And they stock Rust-oleum! Different colors than Home Depot's line up.