Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 18, 2019 7:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith 6S128 Glass Dial Cover
PostPosted: Aug Thu 08, 2019 10:08 pm 

I took in a REAL 'basket case' recently. The chassis was all intact, and had all the correct tubes. The cabinet had some major problems that took many hours with wood glue and clamps. The speaker was missing, but as fate would have it, I had a replacement in stock that was pretty close in all the parameters, even the field coil. After recapping the entire set, giving everything a good cleaning, substituting a #240 O ring for the missing drive belt, I was able to align the radio on all 3 bands with precise dial tracking, decent sensitivity and adequate clean audio. So now I am looking at final assembly back into the cabinet. I pull out the glass dial cover the owner had supplied, and find out it's quite a bit too small. While it IS round---8 inches across, with the proper 'dome', it doesn't come close to be able to be held in place with the rubber extrusion. It appears that a round dial cover glass nearly 9 inches in diameter might work. The brass bezel that protrudes through the opening does NOT look as though a perfectly round glass would work. But I know that when the chassis is inserted back in the cabinet, the glass will line up centered in the bezel's opening. Anyone have any thoughts as to where I might get a proper size glass? And if anyone has a 6S128, I would great appreciate just receiving a measurement of your radio's glass diameter.

Many thanks,

Jerry

Post subject: Re: Zenith 6S128 Glass Dial Cover
PostPosted: Aug Thu 08, 2019 11:19 pm 

I have bought clock glass from Norkro clock glass company 3 times for 3 different Zenith consoles and had a perfect fit each time. Look at their website and figure which diameter you need. The bevel (so far) has been just right for each radio.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 08, 2019 11:55 pm 

Mark Palmquist at Dialcover.com makes one for the 6s128. You can contact him at his website. Here is the link:

https://dialcover.com/jmpalm/Inventory.htm

Looking for mid to late 1930s Canadian Rogers, Majestic, and DeForest Crosley radios

PostPosted: Aug Fri 09, 2019 3:05 am 

I have used Norkro for curved glass for many radios and I find that they
have what I need.
Dan in Calgary