Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 23, 2019 8:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA 816K Cabinet Restoration Underway
PostPosted: Aug Sun 11, 2019 1:21 am 

My RCA 816K restoration is now underway.

As I previously discussed, one side of this cabinet was severely damaged and my attempts at repair proved disastrous.

So, I opted to make a new panel using the original construction materials and techniques. This included a Poplar core sandwiched between two full sheets of Maple veneer using hide glue throughout. The decorative (QT/Book-matched) Walnut veneer is then applied to the exterior face, along with the baseboard (also QT Walnut veneered Poplar). I purchased enough Poplar for this and another much smaller project, which I tackled first. Unfortunately, the Poplar proved extremely unstable with the least ambient temperature variance resulting in extreme cupping, bowing and warping!

So, I opted to switch to Hard Maple and the results are much, much better! I opted to remake both sides so that they match. Approx. 2 inch strips with end-grains flipped. This time I used Tightbond II for the glue up. There was some very minor post-finish planning cupping of one of the panels, but laying it on the patio in the sun for a few hours convex face up quickly brought it back perfectly flat.

The next step is coordinate with a friend who has a vacuum bag system to apply the Maple veneer. I will be using Tightbond Cold Press glue. I purchased a nice glue roller kit from Rockler on sale: https://www.rockler.com/rocklers-glue-applicator-set .

My photos are linked as an attachment. I am unsure how to place images directly on the post.

Once I have all of the structural work complete, I will be handing it off to Fred Taylor for decorative veneer repair and finishing. Fred is in Dallas while I am in Fort Worth.

Attachments:
File comment: RCA 816K (Original and New) Side Panels
RCA 816K.pdf [138.53 KiB]
Downloaded 55 times