Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 26, 2021 6:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 3D Printing / Additive Manufacturing Swirled Plastic
PostPosted: Aug Sat 28, 2021 3:00 am 

Everyone, the technology now exists to re-make plastic parts with swirls, even burl wood and other wood grains! I went to the Startysis mobile demonstration in Diamond Bar, CA today. The part I am holding below is a shifter handle with the burl wood pattern made into it! I also saw some spoons which look just like real wood with the grain. They had what looked like a jet engine part of Inconel produced by additive manufacturing, and flexible rubber parts. This is far beyond what is possible with the simple home 3D printing machines. Their web site also show an eyeglass frame made with wood grain. I'll be working on having the Emerson BD-197 "Mae West" parts made, complete with the swirls in the plastic. I will also use the technology to make a plastic replacement for the thick fabric backing layer of the speaker cover which has concentric rings. The demonstration tractor-trailer rig was parked at the SEMA building, so they emphasized automotive parts.

Attachments:
20210827_104747.jpg
20210827_104747.jpg [ 602.21 KiB | Viewed 269 times ]