Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 22, 2021 8:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Reproducing call letters... original or update
PostPosted: Aug Sat 28, 2021 6:29 pm 

For those radios with pushbutton tuning, do you replace the worn or missing stations with modern stations, or do you leave it with the old stations from your area?

When I was faced with that decision on one radio I restored, I stuck with the old call letters of the popular stations in Detroit. I couldn't think of five stations on AM I'd consider popular today, or even stations I personally like to use for the pushbuttons. So I left it with the five popular stations from days' past.

Post subject: Re: Reproducing call letters... original or update
PostPosted: Aug Sat 28, 2021 11:10 pm 

Since I use my radios, I adjusted the pre set frequencies on this Philco 40-180, and labeled them accordingly.

Attachments:
Dial area.JPG
Dial area.JPG [ 312.06 KiB | Viewed 303 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Sun 29, 2021 6:39 am 

Can always split the baby and keep the history of the original labels while setting the presets as you like....You can even compromise there since usually some fraction are gone and some fraction are still on the air you could tune the defunct presets to stations you like. (Assuming you have some good AM music like I have here, or like political talk radio as I do).

Most radio presets are easy-ish to tune compared to reproducing call sign tabs.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 29, 2021 7:54 am 

Sometimes a defunct station will correspond to a modern one, stations changes ownership, or the frequency gets re-assigned. If all of the original tabs are there I just leave them, especially if it's from outside my area, but much of the time the tabs are missing or falling apart so I can put whatever there, though I don't usually bother. Most of the time I dial tune on the electric pushbutton sets anyhow, it's more of a gimmick then a useful feature.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Aug Sun 29, 2021 12:54 pm 

Arran wrote:
Most of the time I dial tune on the electric pushbutton sets anyhow, it's more of a gimmick then a useful feature.

That would be valid in the present day, but when the sets were in their prime, those pushbuttons were the audio equivalent of a TV channel tuner. Very useful.

PostPosted: Aug Sun 29, 2021 5:30 pm 

If they are missing then I create new call letters using MS Excel. It takes a little trial and error to get the color and fonts to match up.