Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 26, 2021 7:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Question/advice on refinishing an old vintage radio cabinet.
PostPosted: Sep Fri 03, 2021 1:40 pm 

Thanks in advance for any advice. Im refinishing an old standing radio cabinet. Ive stripped it back. I sealed it with a thinned coat of an all in one stain and varnish. Then grain filler. Then two coats of an all in one. Sanding with 240 grit in between.

My intention is to do a few coats of a aerosol clear varnish.

My question is with these top coats what should I be sanding with?

Ive read burlap, steel wool, sand paper but am getting confused I think with the options.10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254

Last edited by GlanePito on Sep Mon 06, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Question/advice on refinishing an old vintage radio cabi
PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 3:08 am 

I have tried polyurethane and stain in one, that didn't go well. I don't understand how you get to a particular uniform color.

I've never used varnish, but when I use lacquer, I use 400 or 600 grit sandpaper before the last spraying. I tried steelwool but the wool gets caught in sprinters.

Post subject: Re: Question/advice on refinishing an old vintage radio cabi
PostPosted: Sep Sat 04, 2021 3:25 am 
Site Admin

https://antiqueradios.com/features/lacquer.html

Quote:
Spray even coats of lacquer on the radio, letting each coat dry completely, and then sanding lightly with the #400 paper and tack ragging. Again watch out for the edges. You probably will need to apply three or four coats (more if you didn't fill the grain of any open pore woods).

After the last coat, wet the surface with a little water sand again with the #400 paper--just enough to give an over all dull look. Then buff the surface with #0000 steel wool Until you get a more even dull appearance.

Wet the surface with some soapy water, sprinkle some pumice (an abrasive) on and rub the finish with a block of wood wrapped with a couple layers of felt for flat surfaces or a pad of cloth for rounded surfaces. This will give the lacquer a semi-gloss finish.

If you want a glossier finish, repeat the process using lemon oil or butcher block oil, rottenstone (a really fine abrasive) and a clean felt wrapped block.