Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 23, 2021 12:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Trans Oceanic Chrome Blistering
PostPosted: Sep Sun 05, 2021 3:18 am 

Hey All,

Someone just gave me a working T/O Royal 3000-1. It came from a ocean island , may have been used on ocean going boats as well. So salt exposure was a factor.

The chrome has bubbled on much of the metal face and has flaked off completely in a spot or two right down to (pot ?) metal .

(FWIW, it has other "addressable " cosmetic problems ie on vinyl skin, battery holder etc. Guts really clean though. Face condition /functions, etc , are really good).

The price was right :D .

Any way to slow down or stop the chrome finish from separating away from underlying metal ? Seal /treatment ?

Or is it now "salted toast" and simply inevitable to flake off at this stage of the game ?

Not sure how much can really be done, just tossing it out there .

ANY help appreciated,

K

Post subject: Re: Trans Oceanic Chrome Blistering
PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 2:09 am 

krystallo wrote:
Any way to slow down or stop the chrome finish from separating away from underlying metal ? Seal /treatment ?

Or is it now "salted toast" and simply inevitable to flake off at this stage of the game ?

No, I don't think there is anything you can do about it. It doesn't require salt water exposure - it is a common problem with the 1000/3000.

Several creative solutions have been used but all of them involve stripping it off.

Brett

PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 3:40 pm 

Hey Brett,

Thanks for the reply.

I figured it has just gone into some type of salt and /or age reaction and that maybe some type of dissimilar action had started. Not much you can do. This rig is going to be operated stationary with the front cover open and down flush onto the book shelf , so the worst of the corrosion doesn't show.

I cleaned it up to try and get most residue off, but didn't want to get too aggressive out of concern of cleaving off another big flake or two. As long as it plays , I am not hyper fussy about cosmetics, just throwing it out there.

The other thing that was a bit wacky : the front and side leather /vinyl (?) panels lost most of their adhesive and need the edges glued down again- no biggie.

But the front panel leather, (which has the large Zenith logo riveted to it) shrunk a full QUARTER of an inch on the right side ONLY , exposing the underlying metal and screws instead of being completely and fully covered to the edge by the leather like when new. So when everything is closed up, a strip of metal is visible. The side leather panels had no shrinkage at all , but the front right side puckered up nicely.

Again , it won't be visible so no big issue, just weird.

The inside components look great though.

Thanks Again,

K

PostPosted: Sep Mon 06, 2021 6:41 pm 

krystallo wrote:
Hey Brett,

Thanks for the reply.

I figured it has just gone into some type of salt and /or age reaction and that maybe some type of dissimilar action had started. Not much you can do. This rig is going to be operated stationary with the front cover open and down flush onto the book shelf , so the worst of the corrosion doesn't show.

I cleaned it up to try and get most residue off, but didn't want to get too aggressive out of concern of cleaving off another big flake or two. As long as it plays , I am not hyper fussy about cosmetics, just throwing it out there.

The other thing that was a bit wacky : the front and side leather /vinyl (?) panels lost most of their adhesive and need the edges glued down again- no biggie.

But the front panel leather, (which has the large Zenith logo riveted to it) shrunk a full QUARTER of an inch on the right side ONLY , exposing the underlying metal and screws instead of being completely and fully covered to the edge by the leather like when new. So when everything is closed up, a strip of metal is visible. The side leather panels had no shrinkage at all , but the front right side puckered up nicely.

Again , it won't be visible so no big issue, just weird.

All of these are common problems. I have some hard-milled stainless-steel foil that I am going to try as a refinish for the metal - but note that I have had it for 10+ years now, so don't wait around for the results. The leatherette/black plastic fake leather parts are easily stripped and replaced. Tolex works (I like the thicker leatherette kind), Vulcanite (the stuff they use on cameras) would work. That's really the easy part compared to the chrome.

I am not sure what factor causes the bubbling. The mechanism is that the underlying steel rusts, but why some of them do and some of them don't is far from clear - maybe something about the chemicals at the factory that day. I don't think it is a function of salt exposure, because for some radios I know their history and they were seemingly never exposed.

Brett

PostPosted: Sep Wed 08, 2021 8:28 pm 

I wonder if anyone has tried to re-plate these with the home nickel plating kits using a battery ?...

PostPosted: Sep Thu 09, 2021 4:22 am 

Bones007 wrote:
I wonder if anyone has tried to re-plate these with the home nickel plating kits using a battery ?...

I am not aware of anyone having done that, but it seems imminently practical. You can probably get the necessary materials for <$50.

Brett