Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 26, 2021 6:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need profile for frame molding Sargent-Rayment 710
PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 10:04 pm 

Hi Folks,

I need the help of a collector who has a Sargent-Rayment 710 aluminum cased receiver in their collection. I have found a woodworker/machinist who will make a walnut frame for me. I would like to get a sketch of the shape of the profile of the molding, width and thickness dimensions.

I have two images of profiles but these seem different, the dark stained) one (two images) seems more complex than the one image I have of the lighter finished frame. I suspect the lighter finished is the original but really, I do not know...

Can anyone help by sketching out the important data so I can have a near faithful re-production made?

See images:

Attachment:
S-R-7 base detail3.png
S-R-7 base detail3.png [ 503.02 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]

Attachment:
S-R-7 base detail2.png
S-R-7 base detail2.png [ 389.28 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]

Attachment:
S-R-7 base detail1.png
S-R-7 base detail1.png [ 561.23 KiB | Viewed 250 times ]

Thanks for any info.

Best!

Chas

Post subject: Re: Need profile for frame molding Sargent-Rayment 710
PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 1:48 am 

Did you know that the wood frame was an added cost option? The top example looks like the one that I have.

R,

David

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 2:12 am 

David Willenborg wrote:
Did you know that the wood frame was an added cost option? The top example looks like the one that I have. R,
David
Yes, it was $12, at the time...

I will be having a bottom plate cut next week from 6061, several corner brackets and spacers to hold the bottom plate on. These same corner brackets will also be the mounting that holds the frame/base to the bottom of the radio so it will all be one piece.

If cannot get a profile I shall "roll my own" from the dozens of router/shaper bits I have accumulated. Hopefully, something should be close.

I have not been able to find the 2nd AF and the output choke. I do have a P-P input and P-P output in S-M but they are large and adding a third tube to the AF compartment is going to be a real test of ingenuity. My other option is a pair of Karas transformers and stay single ended...

David, any chance of getting a measured sketch of the profile of that base from the radio in your collection?

Chas

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 4:09 am 

The molding looks like they milled it from poplar, or some other close grained wood, walnut looks rough until it is filled. Someone with a shaper might be able to make a molding that is close by grouping different knives together, or by taking several passes with different ones. You could also find some inexpensive router bits, and re-cut them with a die grinder, or Dremmel tool, but it can be tricky.
Regards
Arran