Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sun 05, 2021 12:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Water slide decals
PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 1:14 am 

I'm refinishing a Philco 38-7. I'm to the point of putting on my Philco water slide decal I got from AES several years ago. I put it in water waited 30 seconds, tried it and the decal didn't move, gave it another 30 seconds in water and then another 30 seconds, still didn't move. Put it in another 30 seconds the L fell off and it broke apart.
Then I watched a video on water slide decals. I got a High Fidelity decal, because I'm never gonna use it, and gave it 1:30, and the decal didn't budge, gave it another 30 seconds and when I went to pull it, it broke, because Fidelity stuck.
What am I doing wrong?

Post subject: Re: Water slide decals
PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 10:04 pm 

It's many years since I applied a waterside decal. Some are more fragile that others. I add a small amount of Dawn dish soap to lukewarm water and manoeuvre them with a pair of plastic stamp collecting tweezers.
You target surface needs to be wet too.

All that I can add is to work slowly and very carefully. A bench magnifier helps as well.
Greg.

Davo plastic tweezers: image: https://bexleystampaccessories.com.au/w ... scaled.jpg

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 2:07 am 

OK, I'll try that.
Thanks egg.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 23, 2021 2:46 pm 

Do you spray the decal with lacquer first? I put on several coats and let dry for a few days before applying the decal onto a flat surface. I've done huge decals with no problems when doing it that way.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 2:09 am 

Nope, but that's a good idea. Both of my correct sized PHILCO decals liquidated. I ordered one from ebay.
I ordered these decals from AES back in the 90s for my first Philco, and used many of them. But like other things, they aged poorly.

PostPosted: Oct Sat 02, 2021 7:36 pm 

Look for the Microset product - modelers use it but it works for radio decals as well.

Radio Daze use water slide decals.

I have successfully made my own dial decal - lot of fuss getting the sizing correct from a photo - for an old Zenith