Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 05, 2022 1:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 7r932 top warpage - HELP
PostPosted: Apr Sat 16, 2022 8:41 pm 

3 months ago I needed to repair the bubbling veneer that I applied years ago. Using the slit, glue and clamp I was pretty much am to get rid of the bubbles. Using a block sand I was able smooth out and then set aside till warmer weather to apply lacquers. About a month ago, looked at it the the top, warped about 1/4" up on the front right corner. I applied a heavy duty clamp and was able to pull it back to about 1/16" Let it sit for about 2 weeks hoping it would deform back. I released the clamp and no change. I redrilled the screw hole to accept a larger screw. Liberally applied wood glue - reclamped, secured larger screw and let dry for couple of days. Removed the clamp and it popped back to about 1/4" warp. Any other ideas?

Attachments:
IMG_5139a.jpg
IMG_5139a.jpg [ 128.71 KiB | Viewed 411 times ]

Post subject: Re: 7r932 top warpage - HELP
PostPosted: Apr Sat 16, 2022 8:51 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
The answer is that it's dry on the top and slightly more humid underneath hence it shrinks on top and doesn't on the underside so the top curls up. Until you have it flat AND similarly veneered and sealed (lacquered) top and bottom, it will keep moving.

My suggestion is to remove the entire top panel from the sides and renew it before reinstalling.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 16, 2022 9:13 pm 

Hoping there was some other ideas. HATE to reveneer this top again. But once the veneer is gone I can slowly add moisture to try to straighten. The warpage did not occur untill after I sand and removed the veneer finish that was there. Would there be a way to add moisture to just the right corner slowly and let it relax?
Here is a current pic after block sanding a warpage...
Suppose if worst case is to peel back old veneer then I may have nothing to lose by adding a damp cloth to inject some moisture.

Attachments:
IMG_5171_1.JPG
IMG_5171_1.JPG [ 272.79 KiB | Viewed 401 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Sun 17, 2022 3:31 am 

Where is this cabinet stored? I'm wondering if environment may have something to do with it as I have a Deforest Crosley set that had a warped side when I first got it, which corrected itself within a year whilst in storage.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Apr Sun 17, 2022 12:36 pm 

I was in one of my upsatirs bedrooms where I keep a lot of my radios and use as my computer room

PostPosted: Apr Tue 19, 2022 1:58 am 

amyotte wrote:
I was in one of my upsatirs bedrooms where I keep a lot of my radios and use as my computer room

I thought maybe it was in a basement, of course if the top was previously exposed to some humidity then the top drying out unevenly might cause it.
Regards
Arran

PostPosted: Apr Tue 19, 2022 11:54 am 

Arran wrote:
amyotte wrote:

I thought maybe it was in a basement, of course if the top was previously exposed to some humidity then the top drying out unevenly might cause it.
Regards
Arran

Since is warped in the area that I sanded it might have warped due to the exposed area.