Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 16, 2019 10:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How To Attach Dial Cover?
PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 7:25 pm 

I'm looking for the best way to reattach a dial cover after removing it to work on the cabinet. They are usually held in originally with small staples. Are these staples (and a small stapler) available anywhere? If not what's the best way to do this? A regular wood stapler is usually too big to be able to use it inside a small cabinet. I've tried Gorilla Tape before and it seems to work but I don't like that.

Ideas?

Thanks!
Rich

Post subject: Re: How To Attach Dial Cover?
PostPosted: Oct Tue 29, 2019 7:48 pm 

Here is what I've done as I didn't have or want to buy a stapler that will work... I essentially make small brass tacks. I buy the smallest thinnest brass flat headed nails that I can find in the hardware store. They are maybe a buck for 100 or something like that. Cut much of the nails body off so the remaining portion is less than 1/4" long ( or whatever depending on wood per radio ) then make a new point at the tip with a dremel or grinding wheel. Make up however many you need and press/nail through new cover into wood to secure. To make it easier to install them you could make pilot holes in the new cover first outside the radio but I've never had to do that yet. Works for me for as many radios I do in a year.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 30, 2019 12:30 am 

You can get small brass eyelets that they use for doll house miniatures. check e-bay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-Sets-Ro ... SwrZBcII-F

This is just one example. you will have to check the size you need. These work well for going through a dial cover with a brass escutcheon.
Tony

PostPosted: Oct Thu 31, 2019 2:29 pm 

Thanks for the idea guys!

Tony - can you expand on your comments? I'm not sure what you are saying about using those eyelets on a brass escutcheon.

What I'm looking for is a good way to attach a clear plastic dial cover with a flange to the inside of a wood cabinet. Also, the speaker cloth backing board.

Thanks,
Rich

Attachments:
cabinet_inside_002_r.jpg
cabinet_inside_002_r.jpg [ 168.79 KiB | Viewed 410 times ]

PostPosted: Nov Fri 01, 2019 9:28 pm 

I just use goop to glue the dial cover down. Also for the speaker board. Just enough around the edges.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 01, 2019 10:33 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
A small dab of silicone in each corner usually works well and is easily reversible.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 05, 2019 3:33 pm 

I've taken staples, trimmed them down to the length I need, and hammered them into place with a drift pin.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 06, 2019 2:32 am 

Thanks for the ideas guys!

Kestas - Yea, I've done that before too.

John Bartley - Silicone as in RTV? So far I like this idea best. I want it (and the speaker board) to be attached securely, yet easily removed. Just thinking about the poor schmuck that has to restore this thing again in another 70 or 80 years :lol:

Rich

PostPosted: Nov Wed 06, 2019 3:08 am 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
criageek wrote:
Thanks for the ideas guys!

Kestas - Yea, I've done that before too.

John Bartley - Silicone as in RTV? So far I like this idea best. I want it (and the speaker board) to be attached securely, yet easily removed. Just thinking about the poor schmuck that has to restore this thing again in another 70 or 80 years :lol:

Rich

Yes, silicone as in RTV. Kitchen and bath clear silicone.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 06, 2019 5:56 pm 

Kestas wrote:
I've taken staples, trimmed them down to the length I need, and hammered them into place with a drift pin.

I have done exactly the same thing. We are talking here about wide-crown staples as used in a staple gun, not thin wire staples as used in an office stapler. Use diagonal pliers to cut each leg of the staple on a 45-degree angle to proper length. The angles on each leg should be cut in opposite directions. Then, as Kestas says, use a drift pin or a nail set to install them.

Many of these clear dial covers were originally stapled in place. Quite often you can locate the new staple directly over the holes in the wood cabinet where the original staple was removed, thus making them very easy to drive.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 06, 2019 9:45 pm 

I use aluminum metal duct tape. Easy to cut and it conforms well to the shape of the cover and the radio. Adhesion is excellent.
Ed.