Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 13, 2019 2:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My first radio
PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 5:13 am 

Hello Everybody,
My name is Aram, and I just joined this forum to learn more about fantastic looking old radios! I always want it get an antique radio and try to restore, or make it better sound or work on cabinet and make it nice and shine :wink:

Last week I picked up my first floor standing radio Silverstone 4586 - '36
I was not looking for this radio in particular, I got it, because it was available and price was ok :)

Plan is to refinish the cabinet, and restore electronics.
Radio makes nose but tuning dial not making any change... maybe dial cable cut? Will remove chassis I can tell better what's broken

Would it be better to restore this finish or; strip and refinish ?
Can you please tell if the speaker cloth is original? Where can I get matching cloth (best source)?

I think someone restore this radio once ...

I will greatly appreciate any input on this project

Thank you,
Aram.

Attachments:
Silverstone.jpg
Silverstone.jpg [ 130.25 KiB | Viewed 1027 times ]
chassis.jpg
chassis.jpg [ 162.1 KiB | Viewed 1027 times ]
venner lifting.jpg
venner lifting.jpg [ 135.84 KiB | Viewed 1027 times ]
4586A.jpg
4586A.jpg [ 139.79 KiB | Viewed 1027 times ]
speaker fabric.jpg
speaker fabric.jpg [ 133.03 KiB | Viewed 1027 times ]
corner finish damage.jpg
corner finish damage.jpg [ 134.62 KiB | Viewed 1027 times ]

Last edited by paronaram on Sep Tue 24, 2019 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My first radio
PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 7:44 am 

Welcome to the board.

That's a handsome looking console, and I like the large dial w/ tuning eye. AFA refinishing the cabinet one way or another, that depends on your skill level.

Don't power the set up again, until at least the Electrolytic filter caps have been changed out, and ideally until after all wax caps have been replaced as well. Also verify that the line cord is in good condition, i.e., no cracks or exposed wire.

BTW, the name is Silvertone, the Sears brand, not Silverstone. Here's the service information; http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymode ... 017120.pdf

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 1:54 pm 

I have a Silvertone 4550 chassis. It's the 6 volt version of the radio you have. I needed a cabinet for it so I bought a complete 4586 110 volt ac model for the cabinet and sold the chassis. More to the point though is this radio had ALL of the original paperwork in two seperate envelopes tucked in along side the transformer. Before selling the chassis I copied it all. I'll post it today. It even includes instructions for the optional Silvertone Dipole antenna kit. Also be aware that These chassis were made by two different manufacturers and are identified by a letter in the serial #. Mine is Colonial.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 1:55 pm 

Hi Aram and welcome to ARF. Always good to see new blood entering the hobby. You have a very nice radio that will display well and should be a good performer. There were two chassis' produced with the model number 4586. One was made by Stewart-Warner (100.156) and the other by Colonial (101.425). On viewing your picture of the chassis, you have the Colonial model. Look at the label on the back of the chassis and you should see the number 101.425. I have scanned ten (10) pages from the Sears Service Manual of your model and can forward them to you. They have complete data on the chassis including layout and parts placement to simplify the servicing of your radio. Just forward your email address to me in a PM and I can send them to you. Do not post your email address in an open post here. Being new here you are probably not familiar with ARF communication. At the bottom of my post you will find a notation, "PM". Click on it and you can send a private message so you do not reveal your email address to the world. I am not looking for any payment, just sharing information as most do on ARF.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 9:56 pm 

The scanned pages have been sent in two emails due to the size of the files. Good luck on the restoration.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 07, 2019 2:32 pm 

Bugman wrote:
The scanned pages have been sent in two emails due to the size of the files. Good luck on the restoration.

I got it looks good, Thank you!

PostPosted: Sep Sat 07, 2019 5:28 pm 

Thank you All for warm Welcome!

Sorry, yes it is Silvertone not Slverstone :D

Today I removed chassis, from cabinet, and found that dial cord is cut, that explains nothing moving on the dial.

Chassis are in the very good condition no rust anywhere, all stickers are original :!:
Someone repaired this radio in 2000 (some tubes have Sharpie marking) and all caps and resistors (some) replaced.

Do I need to care about bushings that support dial? They are original and look like "leather"

All potentiometers making very loud crackling noise, can I use contact cleaner or it maybe to harsh on this 80y.o resistor?

Shopping for dial cable, anything I should know before I buy?

Thank you
Aram

Attachments:
my problem.jpg
my problem.jpg [ 108.08 KiB | Viewed 916 times ]
chassi screws with leather washers.jpg
chassi screws with leather washers.jpg [ 127.26 KiB | Viewed 916 times ]
caps and resistors are replaced.jpg
caps and resistors are replaced.jpg [ 200.38 KiB | Viewed 916 times ]
power cord.jpg
power cord.jpg [ 175.62 KiB | Viewed 916 times ]
above volume knob.jpg
above volume knob.jpg [ 69.75 KiB | Viewed 916 times ]
more knobs.jpg
more knobs.jpg [ 118.78 KiB | Viewed 916 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Sun 08, 2019 6:38 pm 

Those washers ain't leather, but rather what becomes of 40's era and older natural rubber after a few decades...it is advisable to replace them, you'll want thicker washers the old ones have went through q or more cycles of melt, smoosh down, solidify/crack and are no longer the same size they were when new.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 08, 2019 7:37 pm 

You can get rubber washers like that at a hardware store, in the plumbing section where washers and parts for faucets are located.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 08, 2019 8:19 pm 

Hello Aram.
what great set you did yourself well the cabinet looks to be in fairly nice shape good veneer too.

Welcome to the elite world of antique radios it's a fun hobby and there people from all different back grounds but we have one thing in common the love of these old sets .

Sincerely Rich
P.S. my self I would not completely strip and refinish this cabinet all it needs is a little touch up and some good TLC

PostPosted: Sep Sun 08, 2019 10:42 pm 

I'm not the old hand on cabinet restoration that many here are, but I just refurbished a 1940's GE console and decided to do it the easy way and not strip the finish. I was prepared to do so due to some bad water spots, but I found that just a good cleaning will let you see what you have before jumping into stripping it.
1 - Get some GOJO hand cleaner, the stuff without the plumice. Rub down all the wood surfaces with this and a clean cloth. After, rub down again with a clean cloth and no GOJO.
2 - If you like what you see, wait a few days and use Howards Restora-Finish in a matching color - follow directions. After you buff this out, you will be able to determine if you need to go further. Often this is all it takes to clean and make the radio look presentable.
While you work, look for pieces which are coming loose or gaps in the places things join. If you are fortunate, the work you put into a good clean up will be all you need.
There is a lot of good info on how to reapply veneer, I'd use the search function above to read up on this. While everyone has to start somewhere, it doesn't appear to be the easiest thing to do.
Good luck, you will have a great looking radio when you're done.
John

Edit - if you can't find these products and if you want to do this type of clean-up, let us know, there are alternatives which can be made at home.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 08, 2019 11:01 pm 

Hello John,
I used Howards on my 1941 Ge console and it came out nice

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2019 4:52 am 

Electronic Memory wrote:
Those washers ain't leather, but rather what becomes of 40's era and older natural rubber after a few decades...it is advisable to replace them, you'll want thicker washers the old ones have went through q or more cycles of melt, smoosh down, solidify/crack and are no longer the same size they were when new.

Thank you for advice, lookes like leather :)
I will get something from HW store to replace them.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2019 4:55 am 

radiorich wrote:
Hello Aram.
what great set you did yourself well the cabinet looks to be in fairly nice shape good veneer too.

Welcome to the elite world of antique radios it's a fun hobby and there people from all different back grounds but we have one thing in common the love of these old sets .

Sincerely Rich
P.S. my self I would not completely strip and refinish this cabinet all it needs is a little touch up and some good TLC

Thank you Rich!

Will try not to refinish right away, I got instructions from John :wink:

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2019 5:10 am 

sergneri wrote:
I'm not the old hand on cabinet restoration that many here are, but I just refurbished a 1940's GE console and decided to do it the easy way and not strip the finish. I was prepared to do so due to some bad water spots, but I found that just a good cleaning will let you see what you have before jumping into stripping it.
1 - Get some GOJO hand cleaner, the stuff without the plumice. Rub down all the wood surfaces with this and a clean cloth. After, rub down again with a clean cloth and no GOJO.
2 - If you like what you see, wait a few days and use Howards Restora-Finish in a matching color - follow directions. After you buff this out, you will be able to determine if you need to go further. Often this is all it takes to clean and make the radio look presentable.
While you work, look for pieces which are coming loose or gaps in the places things join. If you are fortunate, the work you put into a good clean up will be all you need.
There is a lot of good info on how to reapply veneer, I'd use the search function above to read up on this. While everyone has to start somewhere, it doesn't appear to be the easiest thing to do.
Good luck, you will have a great looking radio when you're done.
John

Edit - if you can't find these products and if you want to do this type of clean-up, let us know, there are alternatives which can be made at home.

Thank you for advice John.
I will try to clean it first...
Quick question, GOJO does have plumice in all versions that I found online. Is there particular one that I need to look for ?
And one more question; what do you think Howards Restora-Finish Cherry will be better or Walnut? Some parts of this cabinet are dark (not sure if it's dirt or stained that way), maybe I need both... or maybe I need to "wash" this cabinet first ?

I did not see your post earlier, so I did small shopping already :D
But this will hold since I'm going to try Howards Restora-Finish first!

Attachments:
shopping.jpg
shopping.jpg [ 162.71 KiB | Viewed 817 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2019 5:30 am 

I bought mine at an auto parts store; no Pumice;
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/go ... turer=true

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2019 2:56 pm 

Always go with the Howard's that matches the lightest wood on the cabinet...it will disappear on the dark portions, and not darken the lighter parts of the wood.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2019 5:53 pm 

fifties wrote:
I bought mine at an auto parts store; no Pumice;
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/go ... turer=true

As per GoJo Customer service; "we don't manufacture that particular hand cleaner..."
Replacement is https://www.webstaurantstore.com/gojo-0 ... 94712.html

But I don't think guy knew exactly what I'm talking about.
What is the difference? Smell? or there is something else

Thanks
Aram

PostPosted: Sep Mon 09, 2019 6:13 pm 

The pumice bits probably scratch the finish...some hardware stores carry the non-pumice version too, look around your local Auto and hardware stores and you should find it.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 10, 2019 2:19 am 

If finding GOJO is a problem, try the treatment:
"Mix equal parts of turpentine, white vinegar, and boiled linseed oil and shake. Pour a little bit on the surface, rub with 0000 steel wool like you are trying to clean off some of the dirt, wipe it off with a dry rag.....then pour some lemon oil on the surface and wipe it off and you will be amazed."

If you search for "The Treatment" in the above search function, you will get some good info on how it works. Work lightly, no need to bear down on the steel wool.
Cheers,
John