Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 30, 2020 7:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Restore finish
PostPosted: Aug Tue 12, 2003 10:55 pm 

I have a 1959 Grundig console that is in very good condition. The only problem is with the top surface. It has minor scratches and some cracking of the finish.<P>I have heard of somthing that can be sprayed on a lacquer finish and it disolves the lacquer and then the sprayed on material evaporates and the finish rehardens.<P>Has anyone had experience with this and does anyone know if my 1959 Grundig Majestic console has a lacquer finish?<P>Thanks,<P>Rich<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Aug Wed 13, 2003 4:12 am 
Inactive

Hi,<BR> I'm not an expert on European radios but the few I've had from the 50's had a thick, hard poly finish on them. Cracking was common and looking at the back edge of cabinet you can see how thick the finish is.<BR> Lacquer I don't think so.<BR> Ken <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Aug Wed 13, 2003 4:07 pm 

Dennis Daly is the pro on this stuff. It is most likely some type of conversion varnish?<BR>I've tried various methods to repair it with a minor success involving sanding it down somewhat and literally filling the major cracks with lacquer and spraying on multiple coats, rubbing to get a good level surface.<BR>If its really objectionable you'd probably be further ahead just refinishing the top...or leave it alone and call it patina.<P><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Aug Wed 13, 2003 5:26 pm 

Last night I used some plastic polish on a part of the top. It really brought out a nice shine, but the cracks are still there. There are a lot of very small cracks, but I don't think that I am going to refinish it. It is not that objectionable.<P>Rich<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Tue 09, 2003 7:32 pm 

The top and sides of my Telefunken were in similar shape. I used mildly abrasive automotive rubbing compound on the cabinet. It smoothed out the surface very nicely and restored it to its original high gloss. Just be careful not to rub away the finish along the edges.<P>------------------<BR>Craig Roberts<BR>Washington, DC

PostPosted: Sep Tue 09, 2003 8:33 pm 

Old Radioz wrote:
<font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RichK:<BR><B>I have a 1959 Grundig console that is in very good condition. The only problem is with the top surface. It has minor scratches and some cracking of the finish.<BR></B><HR>
<P>Ditto what exray says.<P>Dennis Daly is _the_ pro for that,<BR>and for many other things too.<P>I'm spoiled, I get to visit my buddy often so we share tricks and learn from each other (I think I learn more from him anyway).<P>Too bad exray's too far for me for regular visits...;o)<P>Syl<BR><P>------------------<BR>