Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 30, 2020 8:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: remove lacquer but leave filler
PostPosted: Aug Wed 27, 2003 9:11 pm 

i'm finishing up a little stewart-warner AA5, new caps and line cord. the cabinet has lost a fair amount of lacquer. i have used formby's furniture refinisher in the past to remove the finish but it also removes the wood filler. what should i use to just get rid of the rest of the lacquer?<P>thanks.<BR><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Aug Thu 28, 2003 7:12 am 

Craig,<P>If the lacquer is flaky enough, you can try to scrape it off with a spatula/putty knife. Try one of the plastic ones first to try and avoid scratching the wood. Get a new one, so it will still have somewhat of an edge on it. If that doesn't get it, you can try a metal one with a good sharp edge. Just be really careful to keep it parallel to the surface, or you will gouge the wood. If you want to get really fancy, I believe they make a scraper for this purpose, but putty knives a whole lot cheaper.<P>If there is a lot of finish left and what is there is solid, you could try to reamalgamate it with a mixture of lacquer thinner and lacquer retarder. Do a search on the forum for old articles on this subject, there have been several threads on the subject.<P>Failing the above, get some grain filler and refill the pores. Just don't let it go with that "I've been refinished" look you see in the antique stores.<P>Bill<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Aug Thu 28, 2003 8:26 pm 

A recent disaster project taught me that its best just to remove it all. If not, use a shellac sealer coat if you want to go with the 'scrape' method.<P>-Bill<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Aug Fri 29, 2003 3:05 am 

Hagstar wrote:
<font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alan Voorhees:<BR><B>Any chemical that will dissolve the lacquer will do the same for the filler.<BR></B><HR>
<P>Sorry, this is just plain wrong. For you to say it authoritatively, you'd have to have tried virtually every paint remover possible.<BR>Instead this appears IMHO to be deductive reasoning based on an overly confident "scientific" approach.<P>I would say almost the inverse is true- the majority of grain fillers on the market are varnish based, and are far harder to dissolve than lacquer. Formsby's is a poor choice, but CitraStrip neatly removes the lacquer and if you take it off with fine steel wool and mineral spirits only the filler stays intact 70% of the time. Harsher strippers like meth. chloride and/or alkali base types WILL pull out all the stripper, but those are overkill for lacquer and generally needed only for the dreaded polyurethane.<P>Why do I know this ? Because I work with lacquer every week, and have redone many dozens of cabinets by now.<P>John H.<BR><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Aug Fri 29, 2003 10:48 pm 

thanks for the tips everybody. i thnk i'll<BR>try the reflow method first and if that<BR>doesn't work i'll try using citristrip.<BR>this isn't a showcase radio by any standard<BR>so i'll use it to improve my cabinet<BR>skills.<P>thanks again.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Aug Fri 29, 2003 11:09 pm 

One tip about reflowing. You mention that it has lost a fair amount of lacquer. Consequently you'll have to add some more lacquer to your reflow mix and there may be some coloring difference between the new and old. <BR>Use plenty of retarder and thinner!<P>Here's one I did. <A HREF="http://www.sparkbench.com/sprklacq.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.sparkbench.com/sprklacq.htm</A> <P>Good luck,<BR>Bill<BR><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Aug Sat 30, 2003 12:22 am 

Craig,<BR>I never use chemicals anymore. Got tired of the mess. I started out using a wood chisel to scrap the finish off. Drag it toward you with the grain. Never push or you will gouge the wood. I finally got a wood scaper at Home depot or Lowes and I can do a console in about 4 hours. If the finish is in pretty good shape (not flaking), you can take a heat gun and heat the finish until it turns to a white haze, then scrape. Be careful not to get heat gun to close or hot as it will burn the wood. You can come up with all kinds of tools to get in all the little places. Just be careful of pushing into the grain or it will gouge the wood.<P>------------------<BR>Scott Kennedy