Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 30, 2020 7:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dial markings on bakelite cabinet
PostPosted: Sep Thu 04, 2003 10:02 pm 

I have a Philco bakelite cabinet with the dial markings and the Philco name impressed into the cabinet. The cabinet is painted ivory, but the dial markings are left unpainted brown bakelite. I want to repaint the cabinet but I'm not sure how to protect the dial markings. Some ideas I've had are: 1) fill the markings with a washable filler (toothpaste comes to mind), repaint the cabinet then wash out the filler with water; 2) paint over the markings and then fill/paint them with black paint; 3) mask over the markings with tape and paint the cabinet, then try to feather the paint edge around the markings with wet/dry paper. Do any of these methods sound workable? Any recommendations as to a different method? Thanks.......<P>------------------<BR>Vinton Roush<BR>Fairfield, OH

PostPosted: Sep Sat 06, 2003 5:41 am 

Hi Vinton, If the dial markings are embossed into the cabinet I would paint the cabinet as you normally would and then use an acrylic paint that comes in a small squeeze tube found in the local Pat Cataans or Michaels craft store for a few bucks. A tube of any color lasts forever and it comes in lots of various colors. All you do is using a moistened Q-Tip wipe the paint across the indented numbers or logo and then using a moist tissue wipe off the excess. It fills the indentations fine after a couple passes and when you wipe off the excess it looks just like a factory paint job. If you are painting your cabinets using a Krylon paint the acrylic won't attack the new finish as it has a mineral oil base and wipes off easily using plain ole SPIT! You can use water but water oddly enough can attack a new painted finish if you have a high chlorine content in your city water. I've used this technique for years and it works nicely.<P>------------------<BR>DecotronixDan

PostPosted: Sep Tue 09, 2003 9:07 am 

Hi-<BR> Oddly enough, my radio buddy Sylvain has been using this same method for some time.<BR> I've seen the results using the artist's acrylic paints. <BR>Impressive results with no/little danger of ruining the paint job.<BR> I'm a 'convert' to acrylics for that purpose now.<P> Den<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Thu 11, 2003 8:21 pm 

Well, I thought the dial markings were bare bakelite....after very close inspection, I see they are, indeed, filled with some material. I was able to scrape some out with a toothpick. When I put CitriStrip on the markings the filler that came out of the markings had a touch of red/purple coloring to it. I'm going to repaint the cabinet and try filling the dial markings with flat latex paint. Thanks to all for your input.<P>------------------<BR>Vinton Roush<BR>Fairfield, OH