Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 30, 2020 7:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: That AK wrinkle brown.....
PostPosted: Sep Wed 10, 2003 11:17 pm 

Hi Folks...<BR>Just going thru a load of old A-K steel cases and a thought occured to me....does anyone have a handle yet on how to achieve that brown wrinkle finish that was popular on the E type speakers as well as the steel "breadbox" cabinets? I tried doing it a number of years ago but came up zippo. I wonder if there's been any breakthroughs since then....Tnx--Jim<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Sat 13, 2003 6:25 am 

Hi Jim<P> Best not to remove original finish even if rusted. <P> I mix dark brown water based paint with lamp black and water until color matches. Apply this mixture over the entire cabinet/speaker like a dye. Spray over it with Krylon Crystal Clear. <P> An AK will look almost like new. My AK's usually start out near basket cases. <P> <P>------------------<BR>Norm

PostPosted: Sep Sat 13, 2003 7:26 am 

Hi Jim,<BR> Have I got something for you. It's made by KRYLON and it's a camouflage paint. I was getting it a Autozone but they quit handling it. I now get it a Wal-mart. It's a flat brown paint that is almost a perfect match to the original color. If you use it out of the can, it has about the same appearance as the original. I like em shinier so I apply a clearcoat on my AK's and it gets darker still. The part number is 8142 BROWN. I haven't bought any lately as I got scared when Autozone quit carrying it and bought 12 cans the last time I went to Wal-mart for it.<BR>The only thing is that you need to apply it over the original paint as it isn't wrinkle finish. If you have chipped places, use a sponge and dab it on the paint while wet in the chipped area. It's not perfect but close enough that most can't tell.<BR>Take care<BR>Bud<P><BR>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Sat 13, 2003 7:46 am 

I have read that the original 1920s wrinkle finishes were done with an otherwise slow drying old-timey enamel oven-baked to achieve the effect (melted-wrinkle I'd call it) you are looking for.<BR>I don't know if anybody has been able to faithfully replicate this with modern products.<P>-Bill<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Sat 13, 2003 5:56 pm 

Hi Guys...<BR>Thanx a load for all the ideas! I've been using Krylon for a number of years now and it's still the best "off the shelf" product for my needs. Do you know that the product is sold in 3.5 oz bottles as well now? (Sure beats spraying the paint into the cap for those small touch-ups!)<BR>Norm: are you saying just to neutralize the rust and just prep it normally after that?<BR>Bill: I have oven baked Krylon onto many bakelite cases in the past. It gives a very hard surface finish but will chip if dinged into. After applying the Krylon, let it dry to the touch.... My best results have been at 140 degrees F. for 15 minutes. Doing this seems to relax the paint and the finish comes out real nice. Let it air cool. <BR>Needless to say, you are not going to do this in the family stove!...Jim <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Sat 13, 2003 6:45 pm 

You guys have me confused!!<BR>Is there just one A-K Brown for everything<BR>that A-K made<P>------------------<BR>Rick Dippolito<BR>THE PHILCO RESTORER at<BR> <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/philcorestorer/myhomepage/index.html" TARGET=_blank>http://hometown.aol.com/philcorestorer/myhomepage/index.html</A>

PostPosted: Sep Sun 14, 2003 3:14 am 

Hi Rick,<BR> No, just the metal ones made from the model 35 thru the 40 series models.<BR>Take care<BR>Bud<P><BR>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Sun 14, 2003 3:33 am 

Hi Rick & Jim<P> AK did use two brown colors. I'll call them dark brown and darker. I haven't found a spray paint that was dark enough so mixed my own. Bud's 8142 brown may be close?<P> Remove any loose rust but do not sand it down. The rust holds paint better than smooth surface. In most cases rust will match the wrinkle finish. <P> You don't want to reproduce the finish. As Bill mentioned modern products never look right. <P> Clean the cabinet and go over it with paint. I mentioned using dark brown, lamp black & water. It goes on like dye and doesn't fill in the wrinkle finish. If you spray paint don't make it too heavy.<P> Jim, I'll send you information by email. <P>------------------<BR>Norm

PostPosted: Sep Mon 15, 2003 5:42 am 

Thanx Norm....I gotta try this, e-mail rcvd...Jim<P>------------------<BR>