Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Wed 19, 2020 8:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Okay. I give up. HELP!
PostPosted: Sep Fri 12, 2003 6:37 am 

Okay cabinet restoration gurus. It's obvious to me that I just don't know how to color a wood cabinet........Somebody please give me a clue. Maybe lots of clues. Step by step. As though you were talking to a five year old. <P>Let's take any old cabinet. In this particular case, it happens to be a Coronado (Kingston) tombstone. Finish is so beat up, I have no choice but to remove it. So I do so, with furniture refinisher. What is left, of course, is the usual - a beautiful solid-wood front. Blotchy but generally light-colored grainless wood on either side of the face (in this case, these are fluted and the grooves are full of finish junk). Decent veneer on the top and cabinet sides. So I have three colors of wood.<P>What is the most absolute idiot-proof technique for getting the whole cabinet into one coherent color so that it looks halfway attractive? Whether I use stain or toner, the light wood is invariably still much too light relative to the face; still blotchy; and with the high parts of the fluting lighter than the grooves. The veneer looks okay, but doesn't look anything like the front. So now I have three darker colors of wood, and it still looks like crap. <P>Note I cannot financially justify the purchase of any spray equipment, so I'm working with spray cans when I need to spray something. Now, I can spray a clear coat of lacquer from cans and have that turn out great. But I can't seem to make the cabinet a nice color. What do I have to do??<P>(and now, since I have an ugly stain job on the cabinet, how do I get rid of that?)<P>Thanks for reading my rant......Any help would be much appreciated.<P>Regards, Paul<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Fri 12, 2003 10:03 pm 

Has anyone used the spray lacquer sanding sealer as a prep coat as opposed to the shellac?<BR>better? worse? <P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Fri 12, 2003 10:48 pm 

I occasionally use it if I have doubts or concerns about what I may be spraying on top of.<BR>I suspect the general concensus is that it is not a particularly desirable thing to do since it makes for a base weaker than the lacquer itself and this could lead to future chipping of the finish. Taking that into account, use only a very light coat.<P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Sat 13, 2003 7:37 am 

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alan Voorhees:<BR>[B]Paint it red ...<BR>Hey Alan,<BR> IROTFLMAO ;-)<BR>Take care<BR>Bud<BR> <P>------------------<BR>