Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Wed 30, 2020 7:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Refinishing Zenith Walton
PostPosted: Sep Tue 16, 2003 11:48 pm 

Hagstar wrote:
<font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jer_hutch:<BR><B>I recently picked up a Walton 7-J-232 radio that is very good shape but needs refinishing. <BR></B><HR>
<P>HOW is that possible ? Unless the radio is actually missing say 5-10% of the lacquer, and totally and completely covered in deep, deep, deep scratches you will lower the radio's value enormously by refinishing it. Scratches, discoloration, and some stains can be cured by the use of Howards and other products, or simply using Minwax stain (I posted an example in the Gallery of an Airline 62-1355 treated this way).<P>If you do refinish it, be advised this is a perfect example of a radio NOT to start with- once you are ready to redo a Walton you have a career in finishing, not a hobby. Likely someone here will soon post you can redo this with shellac using a brush. Follow such advice at your peril- the radio needs nothing less than an authentic perfect job. Here in Vermont where I live there is no refinishing shop for hire for hundreds of miles capable of doing a decent job. In a large city you might find one person. Proceed with caution here- this is a great, and valuable, radio.<P>John H.<P>Stain wasn't used on 99% of old radios. Lacquer toner was used. <BR><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Wed 17, 2003 5:55 pm 

As I intimated in another posting, if your radio does need refinishing, don't be afraid to do it yourself. A radio, even the vaunted Zenith "Walton", is still a radio and its cabinet's still a few hunks of ordinary wood that, with care and patience, can be brought back to their original beauty. Refinishing isn't alchemy or black magic. And, ya don't gotta be no rocket scientist to do it. You can obtain instruction from books, videos, local classes or from mentors and practice and develop your skills on scrap wood. <P>And remember, unless you've bought this radio as a financial investment, it's true "value" is in the amount of joy it gives you. I agree, don't strip it unless it needs to be stripped, but don't worry about "devaluing" it by making it shine again, no matter what that entails. Making it beautiful again by your own labors can give you immense satisfaction and, therefore, increase -- not decrease -- the radio's value. Relax and have fun with your old Zenith!<P>------------------<BR>73,<BR>Craig<BR>W3CRR

PostPosted: Sep Thu 18, 2003 12:05 am 

Hagstar wrote:
<font>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by crgrbrts:<BR><B> <BR>And remember, unless you've bought this radio as a financial investment, it's true "value" is in the amount of joy it gives you. <BR></B><HR>
<P>It must be nice to not have to worry about a radio worth thousands of dollars. Normally I'd agree with everything you said, but in the case of a Walton's I just don't have thousands of bucks to play around with, personally.<P>John H.<P><P>------------------<BR>

PostPosted: Sep Thu 18, 2003 2:06 am 

To be fair, its not worth "thousands of dollars" until you decide to sell it (or buy it).<P>-Bill<P>------------------<BR>